• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the Menelaus back-story?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
    "He once told me that he had taken his tornado on a spin to Rome for lunch and that he had flown back with a bowl of spaghetti perched on his lap."

Reminds of this guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ers#Ace_Rimmer

Ace travels from planet to planet wearing a gold, fur-lined flight suit and saving the lives of beautiful women. He was originally a test pilot for the Space Corps in his own universe, which also features an alter ego of Lister (nicknamed 'Spanners' by Ace) who is a flight engineer married to Kochanski and has twin sons called Jim and Bexley (the sort of family to which the regular Lister always aspired). Ace's other friends included the Space Corps chaplain (played by The Cat actor Danny John-Jules), a receptionist named Mellie (played by Holly actress Hattie Hayridge), and Admiral Sir James Tranter, a superior officer whom Ace nicknames 'Bongo' (played by Kryten actor Robert Llewellyn). Despite being happily married, Bongo has a gay crush on Ace, who takes it in stride despite being 'strictly butter-side up.'

Ace was offered the chance to pilot a brand-new kind of spacecraft, one that can cross dimensions - leading to his meeting the Red Dwarf crew. Rimmer was instantly bitter that Ace got all the breaks he did not while Ace regarded him as a weasely maggot, even sighing when a booby-trap set by Rimmer failed to work. In contrast, Ace and Lister became firm friends, prompting a lot of snide remarks on Rimmer's part about their 'relationship.'

Following his visit to Red Dwarf, Ace extended his adventures through the multiverse, adventuring, becoming a hero, and meeting all the many alternate versions of himself. When he finally became unable to carry on, he passed his wig and his legacy on to another version of himself, who became the new Ace. Previous Ace Rimmers were sent, when they finally died, to orbit a planet in an unknown location in small yellow 'coffins,' and by the time Red Dwarf's Rimmer took on the mantle in Stoke Me a Clipper, the billions of Ace Rimmers who have come before him had formed a ring around the planet (resembling the logo of the TV series).

Ace's catchphrase is "Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!" and it is a running joke in the series that everyone who comes into contact with Ace Rimmer exclaims "What a guy!" in tones of complete adoration.

Comment

I say chaps, what a guy!!!
      Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

He spoke to me once, you know....

<sigh>
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          He spoke to me once, you know....

<sigh>
          And?

Comment

...just that.

I still wear the t-shirt, you know....
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              ...just that.

I still wear the t-shirt, you know....
              Has it not started to smell a bit now?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

...are we a magnet for nutters ?
                Yes.

Originally posted by shashee View Post
                When I was growing up in India there was a way of dealing with this villun. A group of men would go to the doorstep of the willun and they would begin to remove their clothing until they were in there undergarments. It never went any further than this and the villun always paid up.
                Sorry, not clear on this. Whose clothes were removed? The willun's or the group of men?
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Sorry, not clear on this. Whose clothes were removed? The willun's or the group of men?
                  I am finding it a little unnerving your willingness to explore this chain of thought in so much detail
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

...are we a magnet for nutters ?
                    Yes.

It's supposed to be disturbing.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I mean WTF is going on here people !!!!! I don't understand this.

And why us at contractoruk ???? are we a magnet for nutters ?
                      I think you can relax, it is not just this forum that he was active on.

There is a discussion about him on here http://www.b3ta.com/links/Member_Of_B3ta_Jailed The posters on there make the people on here look normal. WARNING - There are no pictures displayed when following that link but some of the language they use is NSFW. Certainly made me blush.

Comment

Working...
                      X