• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractors, Liars and Fake CV's

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception"?
    I'm having my campaign staff check our election manifesto as we speak.

Thanks for the heads up.
    If you've got a problem and no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire...Gordon Brown ...( cue music )

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
      To the question above about lying on your CV being a criminal offence - it's fraud by obtaining pecuniary advantage by false representation. I don't have a reference but the policeman involved in his case told me.
      Aha! I was right!

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
        It's a good job that I don't have to go through all this anymore - I'd never stand a chance.
        Yep, it's left me absolutely knackered - and I haven't even got on site yet!

Nomadd
        nomadd liked this post

Comment

I'm Menelaus' ex-wife
          Have a

It seems to me that for contractors there is no effort to check the veracity of a CV or to verify qualifications, and the merit of the person is assessed upon employment.
          That has been my experience for 15 years.

Are the firms too embarrassed to admit they hired a fraudulent character?
          Yes. Not just the business but the hiring manager too.

They have the recourse of the law at their hands but is it easier to just fling him back in the contracting pool for some other poor schmuck to deal with?
          Yep. It's the way the shareholders want it.

Is it the job of the contracting umbrella companies to check these things out before recommending someone on their books?
          They don't care.

Are CV's ever checked
          Not in my experience.

it seems entirely possibly to blag one's way through a short term job with the kind help of colleagues and some books from Amazon
          I'm coming to that conclusion too. But then, I am very slow on the uptake and still have some faith in human nature.

Well done for posting on here. For each bit of random, mindless abuse you get for it, there will also be a real human being that feels for you (and damn glad not to have been caught out in the same way).
          Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            "...a faked CV - which I would add is a criminal offence -"

Can you point to a website that states that?
            Is there a book that says that?
            What statuate does that come under?
            Is there case law and what is the case?
            Crown Prosecution Service good enough?

(Second result on Google for obtaining pecuniary advantage by deception cv.)

I thought everybody knew this? It's not as if Maxine Carr is the only person ever to be busted for it, although she was perhaps the most high-profile case in recent years.

EDIT: ah, I see Zeity beat me to it, though I have a link and get half-a-bonus-mark

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
              Have a

That has been my experience for 15 years.

Yes. Not just the business but the hiring manager too.

Yep. It's the way the shareholders want it.

They don't care.

Not in my experience.

I'm coming to that conclusion too. But then, I am very slow on the uptake and still have some faith in human nature.

Well done for posting on here. For each bit of random, mindless abuse you get for it, there will also be a real human being that feels for you (and damn glad not to have been caught out in the same way).
              Abuse?

Where? So, a random person starts posting on this forum as "Helen" and we're all expected to believe that they are who they say they are?

How many people suspected that Menelaus was "ChasingTheAurora"? Not one of us, me included!

You chaps carry on. Me, I'm not convinced but then again, I don't have to be.

Comment

possibly the most surreal thread I have wasted 5 minutes of my life on.

like something out of a soap opera.......

weirdos

Comment

Hello,
                  I'm Menelaus' ex-wife, and wanted to post a genuine question to the people of these boards. I've watched him now and then over the last two years, as he procured job after job often with stretched or even on occasion a faked CV - which I would add is a criminal offence - and even seen him dismissed from jobs because of tip-offs suggesting the company look more closely into his CV. Well, either that or being arrested at work, which probably doesn't help.

It seems to me that for contractors there is no effort to check the veracity of a CV or to verify qualifications, and the merit of the person is assessed upon employment. I can understand (for short term work particularly) why this makes sense. However it is also apparent that when Craig has left his job under dim circumstances, he has found it relatively easy to seek new employment, this time with another firm's title to add to his list of places he's worked. Are the firms too embarrassed to admit they hired a fraudulent character? They have the recourse of the law at their hands but is it easier to just fling him back in the contracting pool for some other poor schmuck to deal with? Is it the job of the contracting umbrella companies to check these things out before recommending someone on their books?

Are CV's ever checked, as it seems entirely possibly to blag one's way through a short term job with the kind help of colleagues and some books from Amazon
                  If you exist at all; what a skewed mind you have, were you happy to live on the cash that he might have brought in when trying to earn a living?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    Crown Prosecution Service good enough?

(Second result on Google for obtaining pecuniary advantage by deception cv.)

I thought everybody knew this?

We aren't applying for jobs with CVs, we are providing a marketing brochure from our company hilighting the experience of our available consultants. How many businesses say 'yes I can do it' to get the business and then work out how afterwards whilst on the job? It's standard practice, I don't believe it to be illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                      Abuse?

Where? So, a random person starts posting on this forum as "Helen" and we're all expected to believe that they are who they say they are?

How many people suspected that Menelaus was "ChasingTheAurora"? Not one of us, me included!

You chaps carry on. Me, I'm not convinced but then again, I don't have to be.

Oh, how it's lovely posting in General.

Why don't you have a too?

Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Working...
                      X