• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FFS - how do I deal with this one

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Well he has an interest in the PS games, and probably other stuff, but only as a user. We get on very well, go camping a few times a year, I took him to Norway and Italy and to see Pink Floyd, so yeah, I teach him stuff and we get on fine.

My brother live on the other side of the country, so I dont think he has been porking the missus, but thanks for planting the seed

That's what she said.

IGMC

Comment

Thanks guys, I got it now.

Next time we are sitting around, at an aged aunts funeral probably, I will steer the conversation this way ....

Nosey Brother 'I dont understand why you have xxx sweeping up and carrying hods at £150 a week when he could be sitting in a nice warm office with you, earning £300 a day'

other aged aunts not sagely, whilst dunking their cream biscuits in their tea

EO 'You are only saying that because you have been sh@gging my wife while I have been working away'

Undertaker (surveying the cardiac carnage) 'mmm that'll be three more funerals then'

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

How do I tell him to fck off, without telling him to fck off ?

Is he your boss?
        Do you owe him a lot of money?
        Does he have decent blackmail material on you?

If answer to all of the above is no, then just tell him to mind his own bloody business and to feck off

Comment

Next time we are sitting around, at an aged aunts funeral probably, I will steer the conversation this way ....

Nosey Brother 'I dont understand why you have xxx sweeping up and carrying hods at £150 a week when he could be sitting in a nice warm office with you, earning £300 a day'

EO 'What you asking me for, he's your fcking kid anyways ya bast*rd'

Undertaker (surveying the cardiac carnage) 'mmm that'll be four more funerals then'

Fixed (but not implying it's in anyway true)

Comment

If yours is anything like mine, your scouse family has a dominant (elderly) alpha female who usually stamps hard on troublemaking young cubs. Let her know about brother's interfering and he'll know better than to ever mention it again.
            Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Originally posted by SizeZero View Post
              If yours is anything like mine, your scouse family has a dominant (elderly) alpha female who usually stamps hard on troublemaking young cubs. Let her know about brother's interfering and he'll know better than to ever mention it again.
              maybe I am trying too hard to keep things together. I just get the feeling that if we get estranged now, it will be forever

and that would be sad
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

EO 'You are only saying that because you have been sh@gging my wife while I have been working away'

Undertaker (surveying the cardiac carnage) 'mmm that'll be three more funerals then'

Just make sure you get commission from the undertakers.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Sounds like Bro knows what you earn, which can cause some resentment and this might be a way to have a dig, some people can't help themselves.
                  I wouldn't advise ANYONE to consider IT for a career unless it really was something they loved doing. It is unreliable, subject to rapid change that can mean everything you have spent years learning is virtually worthless. Look at support and now coding, it's gone or going.
                  Bit of hard work could be the making of your lad, will appreciate what it takes to get some money and if he matures and develops some ambition and has the capability, then he will make something out of it, or change course.
                  Last thing he needs is to feel he is second rate and that the world owes him a living, life will turn out disappointing for the many who think that.
                  I wish I had a trade to fall back on and build a business around !!
                  I would have a quiet word with bro, talk down what you do, emphasise fragility, rapid changes that mean a very different picture in 10 years, let alone 20 and ask him to not undermine your lad while he finds his feet.

Comment

My Plumber is not on the bench

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                    A smart builder will always make more dosh than a smart contractor.

That's all you need to say.
                    Hard talking is required
                    My Plumber charged me €220 for about 2.5 hrs work.(No replacement parts)
                    He does not rely on Pimps to work.
                    My hot water system and toilet doesn't take any notice of the financial
                    crisis
                    My Plumber accepts cash and doesn't need to stay in hotels and catch flights.

Comment

Working...
                    X