• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paid £400 A Day - Recruiter Charging Client £550 - Feel Raped

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ruse View Post
    Beacuse if the client is paying £550 a day then they most likely are Financial Services or Banking. The vast majority of these have a Preferred Supplier List. If they have a PSL they will have pre-agreed with those on the list what their cut is going to be, which will be in the 15-20% range. Believe it or not the Raison D'Etre of the Client is not to make agency directors rich.

I am frequently now asked in interviews what rate I am looking for as the clients are so used to the agencies trying to take the p**s. They don't want to be paying an extra £50 a day if they don't need to. I am constantly surprised by how many managers I come across manage the Companies money as if it were their own.

Jealousy because some comments seem to have the theme "count yourself lucky to be earning that much". Maybe it was his tone which upset people.
    anyone who makes assertions based on 16 if, buts or maybes is an idiot

you dont know any of the facts , so shut it

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

And anyone who only raises questions and doesn't provide answers is a moron.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

You been necking the beers again mate? Very harsh for EO.

"I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

[QUOTE=Ruse;934691]B I am constantly surprised by how many managers I come across manage the Companies money as if it were their own.
          QUOTE]

That is one of the most desirable attributes to a business a manager can have. I was once told that I didnt treat the money as my own and that was my weakness as a manager. I can see the point now

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
            You been necking the beers again mate? Very harsh for EO.

no beerios tonight. and yes a bit harsh, its just the baldy assertions get right up my beak

if you aim to speak seriously about something, you should get the facts first

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I am frequently now asked in interviews what rate I am looking for as the clients are so used to the agencies trying to take the p**s. They don't want to be paying an extra £50 a day if they don't need to. I am constantly surprised by how many managers I come across manage the Companies money as if it were their own.
              Fortunately there are some rare cases.....

I was asked at interview for my current contract what the agent was advertising the rate as and what I was after.... he was a little surprised at how low it was so went back to them and made them offer me 75/day more than they were advertising, which was also more than I asked for....

The agency forwarded an email to me from the client without sanitising it and left the client charge rate which showed they are now only making £14.21/day out of me

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
                Fortunately there are some rare cases.....

I was asked at interview for my current contract what the agent was advertising the rate as and what I was after.... he was a little surprised at how low it was so went back to them and made them offer me 75/day more than they were advertising, which was also more than I asked for....

The agency forwarded an email to me from the client without sanitising it and left the client charge rate which showed they are now only making £14.21/day out of me
                Most excellent, am assuming he must have them over a barrel for some reason as that will now be loss making for them.

Comment

Beacuse if the client is paying £550 a day then they most likely are Financial Services or Banking. The vast majority of these have a Preferred Supplier List. If they have a PSL they will have pre-agreed with those on the list what their cut is going to be, which will be in the 15-20% range. Believe it or not the Raison D'Etre of the Client is not to make agency directors rich.

Jealousy because some comments seem to have the theme "count yourself lucky to be earning that much". Maybe it was his tone which upset people.
                  I can't fault your argument one bit.

Unfortunately some scousers show their true colours if you start waving money under their noses and claim poverty.

In retrospect you should have just quoted the % markup to avoid upsetting people in the current climate (although most of the touchy ones were actually waving their wads around in the good times, but I digress).

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
                    Originally posted by someone else
                    I am constantly surprised by how many managers I come across manage the Companies money as if it were their own.
                    That is one of the most desirable attributes to a business a manager can have. I was once told that I didnt treat the money as my own and that was my weakness as a manager. I can see the point now
                    Couldn't agree more JJ.

Inefficient use of resources at all levels is what's f***ing the economy, from Brown wasting it left right and centre, down to a useless contractor getting an extension.

If it is good for the company's bottom line, it is good for me. (Unless I am the useless contractor of course.)

Comment

Originally posted by joey122 View Post
                      How on earth is this possible?
                      Because you let it happen and it is legal.

How can a recruiter take 40% of my salary for just placing me??
                      It is not your salary. It is your LtdCo's income.

It is not 40% either.

It is a 27.2% margin, or a 37.5% markup.

Yes it is my first contract
                      In that case it is a fair margin. First time contractors are a dodgy bunch: very high maintenance, whingy and prone to go back to permie at no notice.

but this is a serious piss take!!!
                      No it is not.

When you get to your first renewal - i.e. provided you are not another dodgy permietractor - you can ask for a rate increase.

Now shut up and get on with your job.
                      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                      X