• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV's and company name changes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
    Interesting. So what do you think a contractor is then - and if you want an employee, why not get one?
    You are looking at a CV, not a business brochure.

When I see a CV I want the relevant info to jump out of the page in a logical order so in first scan key points will jump out and tell me if it is worth a second pass

2003 - 2005 Big Bank 1 (Janitor)
    Bla bla in charge of bla bla responsible for bla bla saved company bla bla
    2001 - 2003 Big Bank 2 (Tea Boy)
    Bla bla bla no one went thirsty bla bla got put in charge of bla bla

vs

2003 - 2005 Acme Ltd (Director)
    Did a 2 year contract as Janitor at Big Bank 1 doing bla bla bla in charge of bla bla responiseble for bla bla saved company bla bla
    2001 - 2003 Acme Ltd (Director)
    Did a 2 year contract for Big Bank 2 as the secretarial tea boy doing Bla bla bla no one went thirsty bla bla got put in charge of bla bla

First one gave me an idea on first scan if person is even in right ball park by giving their previous roles and type of clients they have worked for, second one gave me nothing except useless info (and in some ways misrepresented them), so binned them

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
      The only snag there was a client asking for references from my own Ltd Co... I was honest about it and got the gig.
      I have written a few letters as Company Secretary saying I am an employee of my company or stating my income. Letting agents in particular. Nobody has ever objected; I think they just need to see 'something' to cover their backsides.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I prefer to see:

2001-2008 Acme Ltd, Director
        ...brief description of services offered. Then a list of clients, courses etc:
        • jan 2001 - dec 2003; bigbank ltd, trainee bottle opener
        • jan 2004 - dec 2004; bigsoftcomp, lead banana picker

etc etc

No big deal, but just so long as people here don't think that everyone will bin their CV if it is laid out in terms of their business.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

No big deal, but just so long as people here don't think that everyone will bin their CV if it is laid out in terms of their business.
          95% of getting a role is getting it past an arsehole agent that still struggles with saving a word document and thinks hair gel is 'mega cool'.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            95% of getting a role is getting it past an arsehole agent that still struggles with saving a word document and thinks hair gel is 'mega cool'.
            Now with that I definitely do agree!

....I am in the fortunate position that I don't have to use agents though
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Interesting. So what do you think a contractor is then - and if you want an employee, why not get one?
              Because I want a contractor.

I want the best gal for the role. I couldn't care less whether they think they're the next Bill Gates, or think they're going to be employed by me - or they think I'll be their sugar daddy . On that basis I'd be rejecting all newbie contractors.

Conversely, if I was recruiting for a permie role, I wouldn't bin any CVs just because they're contractors running for cover.

Anyway - I arbitarily bin the unlucky ones.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                I have written a few letters as Company Secretary saying I am an employee of my company or stating my income. Letting agents in particular. Nobody has ever objected; I think they just need to see 'something' to cover their backsides.
                But you are talking about "admin stuff". I was talking about references for gigs.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I have worked for mega corp that has demerged businesses and I have worked for smaller businesses that have been taken over by mega corp.

I judge each one to see which I think is the best name to use on my CV at the time. Not strictly correct, I know, but nobody has ever said anything to me about it. I'd expect a really clued up client to already know that "ABC ltd" was taken over by "XYZ plc" etc... anyway.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    I want the best gal for the role.
                    or guy

No sexism please

Comment

Working...
                    X