• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV's and company name changes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I used to hire contractors as a permie and the people who did that went straight in the bin.
    I do the exact opposite, since I expect a contractor to see me as a customer and if they list their customers as employers I steer clear of them.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
      I do the exact opposite, since I expect a contractor to see me as a customer and if they list their customers as employers I steer clear of them.
      That is deranged thinking.

Comment

You're both deranged. While I insist on knowing who the clients were (though not for most recent), I couldn't care less so long as there's enough info that I can decide if the guy is worth talking to.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

That is deranged thinking.
          Interesting. So what do you think a contractor is then - and if you want an employee, why not get one?
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            You're both deranged. While I insist on knowing who the clients were (though not for most recent), I couldn't care less so long as there's enough info that I can decide if the guy is worth talking to.
            or gal

we'll have no sexist rearks on here
            The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
              Almost everywhere has worked has gone. I wonder why? Anyway, my CV says:
              ABC Computer Services (now part of Megacorp Industries)

BT Naff Network Suction (now ConnectYouUpia)

Plimpton Town Council (now Inventedshire County Council)

but it looks crap.
              Every company I worked for as a permie has been taken over or simply disappeared. I'll explain who they became at an interview rather than putting it on the CV.

Bench time (of which there was too much in the early 1990s) I covered with my Ltd Co. The only snag there was a client asking for references from my own Ltd Co... I was honest about it and got the gig.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Um, look at any consultancy web site and you'll probably see a list of customers.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Interesting. So what do you think a contractor is then - and if you want an employee, why not get one?
                  I have worked for some top tier places, IBs, retail banking, major automotive. I want to let a prosective client know that, I want them to know that I have got extensions in top places and to simply gloss over that with "director of my own co" is a sign that you have not done that.

I see my CV as a sign that I have had some "by royal appointment" type roles.

Comment

I have worked for some top tier places, IBs, retail banking, major automotive. I want to let a prosective client know that, I want them to know that I have got extensions in top places and to simply gloss over that with "director of my own co" is a sign that you have not done that.

I see my CV as a sign that I have had some "by royal appointment" type roles.
                    If roles are listed as clients of their business, it highlights if they have been retained, and it lets me see what they have done to refine or extend their skills base. Can't see what your problem is.

Comment

If roles are listed as clients of their business, it highlights if they have been retained, and it lets me see what they have done to refine or extend their skills base. Can't see what your problem is.
                      I don't have a problem with anything, I just stated to the OP that anyone who puts extended "director of my co" on their CV would get the bin. Just offering my advice to the OP.

Comment

Working...
                      X