• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Google OS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    That's why Richard Stallman keeps on ranting that people should call it GNU/Linux
    No. The reason he keeps ranting about how everyone has to use his terminology or he won't talk to them is because the man's a typical arrogant, opinionated geek with poor social graces, who gained extreme delusions of grandeur after raised to high public prominence.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      No. The reason he keeps ranting about how everyone has to use his terminology or he won't talk to them is because the man's a typical arrogant, opinionated geek with poor social graces, who gained extreme delusions of grandeur after raised to high public prominence.
      That too

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Linux is a basic UNIX-like kernel. The various Linux distros come with assorted WMs and applications and so forth, but Linux is just the kernel.

That's why Richard Stallman keeps on ranting that people should call it GNU/Linux, as all the stuff other than the kernel is basically taken from his GNU project, or other stuff released under the GNU Public License or licenses deemed to be compatible (or at least not incompatible) with it.

From the GNU homepage:
        "GNU's kernel isn't finished, so GNU is used with the kernel Linux. The combination of GNU and Linux is the GNU/Linux operating system, now used by millions.

"Sometimes this combination is incorrectly called Linux. There are many variants or 'distributions' of GNU/Linux."

So it looks like Google are doing exactly what you describe
        I somewhat disagree Nick. The (non-embedded) Linux kernel is getting quite bloated.

Anyway, the whole UNIX ethos is getting a bit old now. The "Those who do not understand UNIX are condemned to reinvent it - badly" shtick, is wearing rather thin.

UNIX is based on a 40 year old computing paradigm. Are we condemned to keep on with UNIX derivatives forever?

A company with the R&D budget of Google could possibly have designed something better and leaner, after all, it only needs to be a self-booting Chrome browser, with some limited local file system, USB device support and network functions.

But, operating systems are not the market G operates in.

Once again, Google is an advertising and marketing company, not a technology company.

They will innovate tech, just as long as it serves their greater goal (whatever that is, but it is surely worrying).

This 'Google OS' is a stunt. The media are all over it, declaring it as a 'serious challenge to Microsoft'. That's ridiculous, frankly.

Google are like New Labour, masters of the media, and spin. There is no substance behind it.
        Last edited by bogeyman; 9 July 2009, 01:30.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          i wonder what his cuk monikers are.

Comment

Now I've looked into it I agree with Bogey.

This is just some marketing gloss over another Linux distro.

I thought at first it was a ground up new OS.

Yuk. Fail.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
              This 'Google OS' is a stunt. The media are all over it, declaring it as a 'serious challenge to Microsoft'. That's ridiculous, frankly.

Google are like New Labour, masters of the media, and spin. There is no substance behind it.
              i don't think it matters whether or not the google os is a technological step forward that quickens the hearts of a herd of geeks. what matters is that there are some potential process and cost benefits. if users and accountants are happy then google os might well gain enough traction to mount the "ridiculous" challenge.

Comment

Now I've looked into it I agree with Bogey.
                WHS.

If you look on the google blog....

...designed to power computers ranging from small netbooks to full-size desktop systems....

Even more importantly, they don't want to spend hours configuring their computers to work with every new piece of hardware, or have to worry about constant software updates. And any time our users have a better computing experience, Google benefits as well by having happier users who are more likely to spend time on the Internet.
                What part of adding yet another windows system to Linux is going to mean users don't have to spend hours configuring new hardware and software updates? Sounds like complete spin.

Comment

Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post
                  What part of adding yet another windows system to Linux is going to mean users don't have to spend hours configuring new hardware and software updates? Sounds like complete spin.
                  Netbooks with a very restricted set of hardware components?
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

It's not just for netbooks...

Google Chrome OS is being created for people who spend most of their time on the web, and is being designed to power computers ranging from small netbooks to full-size desktop systems.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                      A new operating system?

This makes me so happy.
                      Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                      So, to recap. "Google offers Yet Another Linux Distro plus a world of marketing hype".
                      Arse.
                      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                      X