• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Google OS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's great news. I will certainly be interested to see what ideas Google come up with for their operating system. And by OS I mean the whole thing, the whole user experience. Most OSes just hark back to old mainframes. These days computers should have an 'on' button and an 'off' button.
    Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Well goodness! That was a timely announcement, wasn't it.

Perhaps G's marketing focus groups had determined that having things perpetually in beta was not the best position from which to launch 'their own' OS.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
        I think it's great news. I will certainly be interested to see what ideas Google come up with for their operating system. And by OS I mean the whole thing, the whole user experience. Most OSes just hark back to old mainframes. These days computers should have an 'on' button and an 'off' button.
        What a ridiculous comment.

Computers are not toasters or washing machines, and they never will be.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
          What a ridiculous comment.

Computers are not toasters or washing machines, and they never will be.
          So only toasters and washing machines should be easy to switch on and off easily?!

You think computers should still have a (visible) boot up process? Are you forced to wait for your phone to shut down?!

On a similar note, when was the last time you saw someone heating the coils on their diesel car? You don't because the coils are heated and the engine made ready with the fuel pump engaged when you use the remote key fob. In other words, diesel cars are made to behave and be as usable as if they were petrol cars.
          Cats are evil.

Comment

So only toasters and washing machines should be easy to switch on and off easily?!

You think computers should still have a (visible) boot up process? Are you forced to wait for your phone to shut down?!

On a similar note, when was the last time you saw someone heating the coils on their diesel car? You don't because the coils are heated and the engine made ready with the fuel pump engaged when you use the remote key fob. In other words, diesel cars are made to behave and be as usable as if they were petrol cars.
            WHS - Computers should / will be commoditised. That's what people want. Example: There's no real reason not to have web access & keyboard supplied with a new TV is there (except it would kill PC sales.......).
            Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
              WHS - Computers should / will be commoditised. That's what people want. Example: There's no real reason not to have web access & keyboard supplied with a new TV is there (except it would kill PC sales.......).
              Would agree, if the average user only wants 3 basic apps, then why should they have to wait several minutes for a PC to boot up and shutdown. Harks back to CRT based TV's- who would want to buy a LCD TV that had to warm up' before you could watch it these days, or a microwave that took as long as a conventional oven to start cooking food??

PZZ

Comment

Well that's really not what I meant.

Appliances? fine! I have no problem with that - but some people still need powerful general-purpose computers with local processing capabilities, rather than some limited, locked down, turn-on and off, needs-Internet-to-work 'appliance' (me for one).

I admit that something like a giant Blackberry or iPhone would suit many users' needs, but it is not a real general purpose computer - even though it has a powerful computer somewhere inside it.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                  Well that's really not what I meant.

Appliances? fine! I have no problem with that - but some people still need powerful general-purpose computers with local processing capabilities, rather than some limited, locked down, turn-on and off, needs-Internet-to-work 'appliance' (me for one).

I admit that something like a giant Blackberry or iPhone would suit many users' needs, but it is not a real general purpose computer - even though it has a powerful computer somewhere inside it.
                  Exactly. Thin clients are fine for some things but others need the processing power and low latency that you can only get running applications locally.

It's similar to that company that was trying to replace games consoles with a thin client. I'm yet to be convinced that it's possible at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                    Exactly. Thin clients are fine for some things but others need the processing power and low latency that you can only get running applications locally.

It's similar to that company that was trying to replace games consoles with a thin client. I'm yet to be convinced that it's possible at the moment.
                    It will probably become possible as bandwidth increases, but who the hell want's some corporation and/or service provider to say what you can do with the physical device?

I certainly don't. My 'computer' (once paid-for) is my own to do as I please with.

I don't want (e.g.) Apple or Google or MS deciding to disable software I have installed, or add something that monitors my everyday activity for marketing (or even darker) purposes.

If some do, let them suck at the Google teat, by all means - I won't be joining them.
                    Last edited by bogeyman; 8 July 2009, 14:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                      What's was Google's native code in a browser system? I forget. Maybe they'll allow that, or something similar. And then there's Silverlight/Flash/maybe even resurrect Java to do what it was originally intended (God forbid).

A browser only system doesn't mean no locally running applications, but just no applications installing themselves on the local hard disk and running willy nilly all over the system.

I think this is good. I'm a software developer, so a system like this would be entirely useless to me and I'd need a "real" computer, as I'm sure would most on here. But many people, maybe even the vast majority don't need that. If they hide away the Linux'ness, then that'll be a good thing too.
                      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                      X