• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why I am starting to despise my Parish Priest

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Thoroughly agree with this. I got married in my home town and the parish priest was brilliant. So was the prod fella by the way, we had a joint celebration thingy!

However but my brother moved to another town a few years ago and being a childless couple in a town 30 miles form his home town, wouldn't have a chance to get much involved in the church. So it's not quite right saying that he is a hypocrite simply because he doesn't know the priest, it's circumstance that he won't/can't get married in our home town as opposed to his new parish.
    Mine's a pint!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      Mine's a pint!
      Hmmm.... we are going to take it easy that day, aren't we

Nah, I predict a sambuca hangover on the sunday
      Bazza gets caught
      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Seems he told one bride groom "take the cost of your wedding dress and suit. add them up. Halve that number. That is the donation I want from you."

Strikes me as very un-christian. And I have another couple of examples too......
        For someone who's not such a big fan of marriage, you don't half go on about it
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Of course most people having church weddings are hypocrites who have never met the vicar before and just want a pretty building to get married in. No wonder the vicar expects a donation from you. By contrast, you should see how excited a vicar is when 2 people who are genuinely christians ask him to marry them - he'll bend over backwards to help them out.
          Mrs BI & I agreed marriage in church would be hypocritical so did a marquee thing (before it was legalised for riff raff to do it ) . We were unsure what our cousin, a vicar, and our uncle, another vicar, would think.

Especially our uncle who was in his 60s and a bit strict.

He was fine about it.

We had four (non religious) readings. We wanted one of her friends, one of my friends, one of her family and one of my family each to do one.

So we asked the uncle if he would do one, but not as a vicar, as a relative. He was absolutely over the moon. He said he had never in his life been asked to speak as himself before. We were as delighted as him. It was funny on the day: he was nervous!
          Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
            My brothers "donation" to the church is about €1,000 - It's a disgrace! And thats just for the church - the priest will expect to be sitting on the top table too.
            If there is a God, do you really believe he'd condone what churches do in his name? IMO your relationship with God should be direct and personal, not via a hierarchy of money-scamming child molesters.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
              For someone who's not such a big fan of marriage, you don't half go on about it
              Maybe this means Mrs BP has convinced him - ohhhhh - I can buy a hat!!
              Bazza gets caught

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                If there is a God, do you really believe he'd condone what churches do in his name? IMO your relationship with God should be direct and personal, not via a hierarchy of money-scamming child molesters.
                They aren't ALL like that.....
                Bazza gets caught

Comment

a hierarchy of child molesters.
                  Do they have to start at the bottom?
                  Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
                    Mrs BI & I agreed marriage in church would be hypocritical so did a marquee thing (before it was legalised for riff raff to do it ) . We were unsure what our cousin, a vicar, and our uncle, another vicar, would think.

Especially our uncle who was in his 60s and a bit strict.

He was fine about it.

We had four (non religious) readings. We wanted one of her friends, one of my friends, one of her family and one of my family each to do one.

So we asked the uncle if he would do one, but not as a vicar, as a relative. He was absolutely over the moon. He said he had never in his life been asked to speak as himself before. We were as delighted as him. It was funny on the day: he was nervous!
                    Sounds just like waht my sis wants (especially the marquee) - Her b/f's Mum is a Methodist lay preacher person and she is great about it - happy as long as they are happy.
                    Bazza gets caught

Comment

Who knows what God would think about anything. Maybe he's got bigger fish to fry, like who's gonna get the 7th spot in the EPL or how serious is he gonna make the swine flu epedemic!
                      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Working...
                      X