• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why I am starting to despise my Parish Priest

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    An old woman in our block of flats gives 10% of her income to some (Christian) church or other.
    Gross or net income? In either case, fool.
    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
      Do I also have to prove that there are no Elves helping Santa?

You prove there is a God.

Scientifically, reproducibly, objectively prove it.

Burden of proof lies on the party claiming the object exists.

Back to you.
      It's quite easy to prove Santa has Elves helping him. He lives in Lapland and you can go there.

That isn't my position.

See above

No, burden of proof falls on the person postulating the hypothesis.

I wasn't the one that postulated the hypothesis that there is no God.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
        Hmmm.... we are going to take it easy that day, aren't we

Nah, I predict a sambuca hangover on the sunday
        Of course!

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          An old woman in our block of flats gives 10% of her income to some (Christian) church or other.
          In Germany there is a church tax which is not mandatory but once you've ticked that box on your papers its very difficult to stop paying it (I don't)

Kirchensteuer, literally "church tax", was introduced in Germany in 1933 by Hitler through an agreement with the Vatican. The agreement also made a place for religion at universities and schools.

The Federal Republic of Germany did not discontinue the agreement, which means that everyone belonging to the big two churches has to pay up to nine percent of his income in taxes which are collected by the state. The Kirchensteuer is tax-deductible, so you actually don't pay the full amount, only most of it.

The tax may explain why the number of members in the two big christian churches in Germany is decreasing, since the tax is not applicable towards people with no or rare religions. It is applicable towards unemployment compensation though, so a church member gets higher relative compensation, although more than 43% of the employed population doesn't pay the tax anymore.
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Gross or net income? In either case, fool.
            Instead of ridiculing the beliefs of others why can't you leave them to their respective faiths?

Whether "God" exists or not doesn't matter, a lot of people gain comfort believing that she does.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              In Germany there is a church tax which is not mandatory but once you've ticked that box on your papers its very difficult to stop paying it (I don't)
              Ah, a bit like joining the World Wildlife Fund then. I had to change address before I was totally rid of them

Comment

Sadly there are a fair number of Priests that are arseholes, 7 years in a convent school proved that the Nuns are not all Maria Von Trapp types as well. On the otherhand there are some that are inspirational, luck of the draw I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  It's quite easy to prove Santa has Elves helping him. He lives in Lapland and you can go there.

That isn't my position.

See above

No, burden of proof falls on the person postulating the hypothesis.

I wasn't the one that postulated the hypothesis that there is no God.
                  I you and your like would never have claimed there is a God I would not need to tell you that there is no God.

You and your like claimed there is a God a long time ago when the stories invented.

Once the stories made the transition from legends-know-to-be-false-but-they-are-educational-so-we-tell-them-to-our-kids to claims of God and divine actions that you claim are both true and educational the burden of proof is on your side.

By the way, I am collecting money on behalf of God. Give me some of your money and I will give it to God, trust me.
                  You believe that if I do not give the money to God he will kill me, right? And that should be my only punishment.

Comment

I you and your like would never have claimed there is a God I would not need to tell you that there is no God.

You and your like claimed there is a God a long time ago when the stories invented.
                    Did you understand me when I said the existence of god wasn't my position?
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                      Did you understand me when I said the existence of god wasn't my position?
                      Clearly not

Sorry to classify you as one of those.

Comment

Working...
                      X