• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Energy Saver Light Bulbs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I spoke to the Mother Superior in the local convent last week, as she was positive that the nuns were not going to give up their candles.
    Last edited by Board Game Geek; 13 May 2009, 08:04.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
      You cynical old bugger you. Still we'll be all right. Hinkley 3 is on the way so we probably won't need any bulbs incandescent or otherwise.
      Ah yes, the nuclear power station site where planning applications for wind power turbines were rejected on safety grounds.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
        Ah yes, the nuclear power station site where planning applications for wind power turbines were rejected on safety grounds.
        That decision did rather appeal to my finely tuned sense of irony.

Since we seem to have moved to wind turbines (horrible things) apparently Denmark now produces some 15% of it's electricity needs from wind. However it has been able to switch off none of it's traditional generating because they can't cope with the flows.

Comment

Since we seem to have moved to wind turbines (horrible things) apparently Denmark now produces some 15% of it's electricity needs from wind. However it has been able to switch off none of it's traditional generating because they can't cope with the flows.
          That is correct, one of the myths about wind power is that it is "low carbon". Couldn't be further from the truth. For every 1MW of wind power on the grid, you need 1MW of coal/gas/nuclear back up running and available to cope with falls in wind speed. Some of the transients can be soaked up by pumped storage hydro power, but that also needs fossil/nuclear power to pump the water uphill in the first place. It really, truly is all smoke and mirrors this wind power debacle. Wind power also gives national grid a lot of other problems with network instability.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            That is correct, one of the myths about wind power is that it is "low carbon". Couldn't be further from the truth. For every 1MW of wind power on the grid, you need 1MW of coal/gas/nuclear back up running and available to cope with falls in wind speed. Some of the transients can be soaked up by pumped storage hydro power, but that also needs fossil/nuclear power to pump the water uphill in the first place. It really, truly is all smoke and mirrors this wind power debacle. Wind power also gives national grid a lot of other problems with network instability.
            There was an application near me (turned down for a number of reasons) and not being a complete luddite I did a bit of digging. What I discovered was:-

- The provider got paid a huge premium for the electricity
            - It could provide power for about 2000 homes
            - It could not feed the grid - only the local area (don't know why this was) - and that only had about 800 homes
            - The energy used in the production of the 3000 odd tons of concrete to be used in the construction was very close to the total energy predicted to be generated over it's useful life

It did seem to me there was a lot of smoke and mirrors - but we do have to start somewhere.

Comment

There was an application near me (turned down for a number of reasons) and not being a complete luddite I did a bit of digging. What I discovered was:-

- The provider got paid a huge premium for the electricity
              - It could provide power for about 2000 homes
              - It could not feed the grid - only the local area (don't know why this was) - and that only had about 800 homes
              - The energy used in the production of the 3000 odd tons of concrete to be used in the construction was very close to the total energy predicted to be generated over it's useful life

It did seem to me there was a lot of smoke and mirrors - but we do have to start somewhere.
              It's a huge con trick, good article here-

Wind Power Project
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Indeed - we're going to need loads of power for all the electric cars as well

Comment

I don't like the darn things - they are too dim and when I switch my bedroom light on - nothing happens for about 50s (not that I've timed it of course )

We have one in the bath room which goes every 6 months
                  pah... grumble... grumble.. etc
                  I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Working...
                  X