• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Energy Saver Light Bulbs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Ladies and Gentlemen, deductive reasoning at its very best!
    He's surely a BA
    Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner a future"

Originally Posted by Pogle
    I wasnt really into men at the time - IYKWIM

HTH

Comment

I want to know why you can't get bright energy saving bulbs.

Occasionally I would fit 150W bulbs in the kitchen or home office. There are no such equivalent energy saving bulbs

An 18W energy saver = a 100W proper bulb.

So where is the 25W energy saver?

Or even, the 100W energy saving bulb for that matter? One of those would illuminate my entire loft.

Everything about these energy saving bulbs is crap. Slow to warm up, they flicker they do not seem to last very long, they are fragile and I am sure they are dimmer than their equivalent.

It's all a ruddy great red herring.
      Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
        I want to know why you can't get bright energy saving bulbs.

Occasionally I would fit 150W bulbs in the kitchen or home office. There are no such equivalent energy saving bulbs

An 18W energy saver = a 100W proper bulb.

So where is the 25W energy saver?

Or even, the 100W energy saving bulb for that matter? One of those would illuminate my entire loft.

Everything about these energy saving bulbs is crap. Slow to warm up, they flicker they do not seem to last very long, they are fragile and I am sure they are dimmer than their equivalent.

It's all a ruddy great red herring.
        Sounds to me like you need to get your eyes tested or electrics looked at. I use Energy savers and yes at first they are dim but they get better with more use and they don't flicker. I haven't changed a bulb in 3 years except in my lounge which is on a dimmer and the standard energy savers definitely don't work with Dimmers, so only bulb changed is the standard one (twice).

Comment

I am sure they are dimmer than their equivalent.
          I'm sure you're right. I now replace with a higher wattage energy saver, e.g. replace 60W bulb with 75W "equivalent" energy saver.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            I've got 3 x 20W CFLs in my office & the place is still dim...

Though it is brighter than the original 3 x 40W candle bulbs left by the previous occupant.

Reading is much more comfortable with the 8W spirally one in the anglepoise switched on...
            How do these new smart meters work then ?

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

They get significantly dimmer over their working life.

I don't think you should worry about their fragility, though: just handle them with normal toxic chemical precautions.

One of my big problems with them is not with the bulbs themselves but with their apologists, who try to tell you that they are suitable for all applications (hence it's OK to ban incandescent bulbs), but end up implying that your application is unimaginably exotic, or simply suggest that you change your lights and your life to fit their bulbs.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                There's a little gnome inside who reads the numbers & phones the electrickery company to tell them how much you've used.

HTH.

P.S. The gas meter is similar, but it's an elf instead.
                an elf in a gas meter ??

I hope they dont smoke in there

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  an elf in a gas meter ??

I hope they dont smoke in there

Smoking is bad for your Elf.

Comment

Did you know the country could make a 8 % saving on generation if the current on pylons is switched from AC to DC
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                      Did you know the country could make a 8 % saving on generation if the current on pylons is switched from AC to DC
                      How much extra would it cost to replace/update all the transformer stations?

Comment

Working...
                      X