• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What was the FIRST gig you saw?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xoggoth
    replied
    Isle of Wight 1969. Also went to see Rolling Stones Hyde Park but crowd so big couldn't get near and left early.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Joy Division Bolton Institute of Higher Education 78 or 79...

I was looking after the bar to be fair, gig was in the canteen (refrectory)...

First 'big' gig was Rush I think, went deaf in one ear.

Also had a ticket for Kate Bush Liverpool Tour of Life but my mum wouldn't let me go cos I had no guaranteed journey home. My biggest regret, not long after that I was kipping in Stevenson Square over night after gigs in Manchester, U2, SLF, REM, early eighties, never got bummed...

Leave a comment:

• Big Blue Plymouth
    replied
    Originally posted by Archangel View Post
    I went to school with mick hucknall, bit of a twat tbh (him, not me, or maybe both of us). But I've seen him live a few times and he can do the business alright. First saw him in "the frantic elevators" doing a punk (ish) version of "holding back the years"!
    Girl I knew who went to Manchester Uni claimed that she was in a club one night & MH sent his minder over to let her know he wanted to sleep with her. She turned him down & he was not happy.

I'm prepared to give old Mick the benefit of the doubt on that one as I've heard a variation of the same story from someone else so I suspect it's a bit of an urban myth.

Anyhow, whatever. I've just realised that I saw Earth, Wind and Fire in Pistoia around 1984 so that was my first big gig.

They were pretty groovy too
    Last edited by Big Blue Plymouth; 10 December 2016, 23:16.

Leave a comment:

• Major Hassle
    replied
    The Jam, Malvern Winter Gardens Dec 10th 1980

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    First really big gig I saw was Simply Red on the Stars tour back in err, it was so long ago I don't really remember. '86 I think.

Blew my mind. What a voice. What a presence.
    I went to school with mick hucknall, bit of a twat tbh (him, not me, or maybe both of us). But I've seen him live a few times and he can do the business alright. First saw him in "the frantic elevators" doing a punk (ish) version of "holding back the years"!

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Lou Reed, Hammersmith Odeon, September 1978
    My mistake - it was 1979

And it was October

But the "Lou Reed, Hammersmith Odeon" bit was correct

October 17th, to be precise

Leave a comment:

• Big Blue Plymouth
    replied
    First really big gig I saw was Simply Red on the Stars tour back in err, it was so long ago I don't really remember. '86 I think.

Blew my mind. What a voice. What a presence.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    I was a very late arrival to going to Gigs

My first was Foo Fighters, Iron Maiden, Brian May in Hyde Park, in 2006.

Leave a comment:

• Gittins Gal
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Were the Subhumans west country? I though they came from my way, the other side of London as I saw them with the Epileptics (who went on to become the fabulously moniker-ed Flux of Pink Indians), and yes, I have records by all of them. Vice Squad, with Beki Bondage on vocals were from the Bristol area and so were Disorder who made Discharge sound like Pinky and Perky on Valium. First saw them in a squat in the St. Pauls area, the only problem was that they were playing on the first floor and due to the loudness and amount of people, the floor collapsed. I think One Way System were also west country. I did go see the Ruts on Friday evening here and had a jolly good drink with them after the gig...
    Very much so.

They're from Melksham (MELKSHAM!)

Grant Mulry once lodged with my Bro's best friend's parents in Dilton Marsh.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
    Well,well,well.. Who'd have thunk it?

My bro was a punkster. That's how come I was there.

It got infiltrated by skinheads & fists started flying half way through. Even got a fat lip myself - punching a woman...classy.

Can't think of many west country punk bands though. The Subhumans were local and, er, Chaotic Discord?
    Were the Subhumans west country? I though they came from my way, the other side of London as I saw them with the Epileptics (who went on to become the fabulously moniker-ed Flux of Pink Indians), and yes, I have records by all of them. Vice Squad, with Beki Bondage on vocals were from the Bristol area and so were Disorder who made Discharge sound like Pinky and Perky on Valium. First saw them in a squat in the St. Pauls area, the only problem was that they were playing on the first floor and due to the loudness and amount of people, the floor collapsed. I think One Way System were also west country. I did go see the Ruts on Friday evening here and had a jolly good drink with them after the gig...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X