• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What was the FIRST gig you saw?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gittins Gal
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Weren't XTC from Swindon? And Billy Idol too?
    Oh, of course. They still live there too. Don't know about Idol though.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
    Can't think of many west country punk bands though.
    Weren't XTC from Swindon? And Billy Idol too?

Leave a comment:

• Gittins Gal
    replied
    Originally posted by MattFromEarth View Post
    I seem to have a vague memory of once owning a single by the Varukers. I think it was called "Die for your government" . Other than that Sex Pistols Anarchy Tour in Caerphilly.
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I've seen them, more than once and have a record or 2 lying around! Back in the early 80's they always seemed to be on the bill when we used to see west country bands. Still going apparently...
    Well,well,well.. Who'd have thunk it?

My bro was a punkster. That's how come I was there.

It got infiltrated by skinheads & fists started flying half way through. Even got a fat lip myself - punching a woman...classy.

Can't think of many west country punk bands though. The Subhumans were local and, er, Chaotic Discord?

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    I've long hoped that when my turn comes for old folks outings that Vera Lynn, Roll Out the Barrel, Lambeth Walk etc would be long forgotten.

And now those Cockney gits make a come back.

What an awful thought.

Retirement outings to the accompaniment of Chas 'n' Dave??????

If all you have to look forwards to are retirement outings you probably want to consider staying in work.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Wishbone Ash at a great local club which got CPO'd and knocked down to build something that was never built. It's still an empty plot >10 years on.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    I've long hoped that when my turn comes for old folks outings that Vera Lynn, Roll Out the Barrel, Lambeth Walk etc would be long forgotten.

And now those Cockney gits make a come back.

What an awful thought.

Retirement outings to the accompaniment of Chas 'n' Dave??????

Gerrchha!

saw them support the Quo on the 'end of the road tour' so that was my first big gig.

both were excellent but that might have been the substances!

Leave a comment:

• Antman
    replied
    The Cult at Leeds Uni

She sells sanctuary tour

Leave a comment:

• Coalman
    replied
    Simple Minds, Milton Keynes bowl, 1987.

Saw them again last year. Good gig. Supported by Ultravox.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    .....considered very edgy these days what with a set at Glastonbury & even the Guardian seem to like them.
    Not to mention the fact that they also played at Knebworth in 1979 as one of the supports to Led Zeppelin!!!

As for the OP, my first gig was the saturday of the 1978 Reading Rock Festival where Status Quo headlined.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied

...and as for the OP - it was a terrible outfit called The Varukers at Bridgwater Arts Centre in 1985 but I can almost guarantee that none of you would have heard of them lol....
    I've seen them, more than once and have a record or 2 lying around! Back in the early 80's they always seemed to be on the bill when we used to see west country bands. Still going apparently...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X