• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jury Service

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WetBehindTheEars View Post
    My worry is loss of contract.
    Talk to them, I am not sure if the law is good enough to protect you from losing gig, but surely if you work in a reasonable company then they would be fairly sympathetic? It's like you are in the Territorial Army and suddenly you are called up to be deployed to Iraq for 6 months, now that's taking the piss for sure!

You probably don't know what case you are called up for - most likely it will be fairly quick, so it might not take long time and consequently your client won't be too bothered (they won't pay you for that time for sure, so it's like you were ill or something).

Comment

I'm sure this as been mentioned before but I believe you're entitled to defer it once, just accept it the next time the fickle finger of fate points your way.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Been there, Done that

There are instructions on the summons on how to request a deferment, as an earlier post said. In your circumstance you will almost certainly get it, my wife and I both did. You'll get another summons in the next few months, in my case they said that they would not ask again, she had to go a couple of years later.

If at all possible I would have done the jury service, I did it once years ago.

It is a vital part of our justice system and helps ensure that justice is done rather than adherence to a Judge's strict interpretation of the letter of the law.

Comment

As a side issue, what would you do if you contract ended suddenly with the prospect of beening benched for months? Your issue seems to be with loosing income.
          His issues revolve around losing income, and fear of losing his job because his employer may not be sympathetic to his needs.

The first is a natural concern, since if you don't work, then you don't get paid. There are remedies to this, such as careful planning to build up a warchest, PCG jury insurance, or deferring the 1st jury service.

As for the employer getting rid of him, due to his abscence, I don't know whether it is feasible but if upon his return, he was out of a job, then could he not sue the employer for contract breach or somesuch ?

It could even be argued that if the employer terminated his employment due to jury service, then that itself is contempt of court, and they'd be in pretty big trouble (and quite rightly too).

The truth of the matter is, is that there is never a good time to do jury service, since it does impinge on people's working routines, and can be financially painful.

However, it is a public duty, and one of the responsibilities we accept as UK citizens.

There are not many opportunities for us to "pay something back" to society and the law system in particular, so don't whinge, be proud and do your duty.

Yes it may inconvenience you, but it may help convict a scrote who hit and run a toddler on a bike, and for that, ther family will be grateful.
          Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post

As for the employer getting rid of him, due to his abscence, I don't know whether it is feasible but if upon his return, he was out of a job, then could he not sue the employer for contract breach or somesuch ?

It could even be argued that if the employer terminated his employment due to jury service, then that itself is contempt of court, and they'd be in pretty big trouble (and quite rightly too).
            As a contractor my client is not my employer. The client can terminate my contract at any time and doesn't need to give a good reason (1 weeks' notice is required - but that might just be "here's 1 weeks' money, please don't come back"). Things are really stretched where I'm at. Even 2 weeks off would leave the team really up against it, and I'm sure there are plenty off benchers who would jump at the chance of taking over my gig whilst I'm off doing my public duty.

I'm going to request a deferral - let's see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

As a contractor my client is not my employer. The client can terminate my contract at any time and doesn't need to give a good reason (1 weeks' notice is required - but that might just be "here's 1 weeks' money, please don't come back"). Things are really stretched where I'm at. Even 2 weeks off would leave the team really up against it, and I'm sure there are plenty off benchers who would jump at the chance of taking over my gig whilst I'm off doing my public duty.

The really frustrating thing about this sort of issue is it's not possible for those of us with the time (benched, working on plan B, taking time off etc) to volunteer the time so that we don't get called at a less convenient time like you have.

Hopefully you can defer your duty, point out the repercussions if you're forced to attend, do it rationally, truthfully and unemotionally.

Comment

I don't think that you will find them unreasonable - I am sure that they will let you defer.

I deferred my first summons and it turned out that I was on the bench for that fortnight. I then ended up doing my jury service while I was in a contract. d'oh.

The distance between the court and your client makes a difference on this, but you would not necessarily be at the court all day, every day, for the period of your service and you would almost certainly have time to call in at the client for part of the day if you are really that critical to the project.

One bloke on the juror panel while I was there was in the middle of a pub/restaurant refit which he couldn't abandon for two weeks because the business was closed while he was doing it.

He would go in to work for a few hours at stupid o'clock, do a couple of hours, then go to the court, wait until lunchtime to find out that he wasn't needed that day, then go back to work. To add insult to injury, he didn't get put on a case the whole time he was there.

But I agree with what the others have said. It is your civic duty so shut up and do it and be thankful that you don't live in a society where the authorities can lock you up without a trial.

Comment

Working...
                X