• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jury Service

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WetBehindTheEars View Post
    I'll go and do my public duty.
    You're lucky it's the only real public duty you have as a UK citizen - in many other places, you'd have had to do a stint of National Service too which would last much longer than two weeks.
    Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Originally posted by SizeZero View Post
      National Service too which would last much longer than two weeks.
      and during which you will get abused by fellow soldiers or get killed in some dirty war...

Comment

Well I think it sucks. Why not select those people who want (can afford) to do it and leave the rest of us to get on with trying to eke out a living.

Comment

Well I think it sucks. Why not select those people who want (can afford) to do it and leave the rest of us to get on with trying to eke out a living.
          It won't be representative sample then - you'd probably get very large propotion of unemployed or on the dole deciding whether you (much better paid contractor) is guilty or not. Would you have liked that to happen?

Comment

Who can afford to do jury service? There cannot be many around.

Comment

Can't believe you mean that! I have to agree with ATW () on his reply there.

I think the point is for us contractors is to take out the correct insurance and hope the trial does not go on for to long ( so you do not lose the contract you are in which would be my main worry) -settiing this up now!

As a side issue, what would you do if you contract ended suddenly with the prospect of beening benched for months? Your issue seems to be with loosing income.
              Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
                Can't believe you mean that! I have to agree with ATW () on his reply there.
                Careful here or you might get accused of being one of my fembots...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Careful here or you might get accused of being one of my fembots...
                  You mean I am not the only one?
                  Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
                    You mean I am not the only one?
                    Yes you are.

Comment

We've strayed away from my original question and some of my posts were not 100% serious.

Loss of income is not my biggest worry - although I do think it is hugely unfair and an outrage.

My worry is loss of contract. It's a very real fear and I'd say it would be very likely the client would look elsewhere. Too late for me I guess, but would insurance pay out for loss of contract?

If I lost my contract due to some other reason then I'd look for another one. If I couldn't find one PDQ then my situation would force me to go back permie or to look for work outside IT. I don't have provisions for much tme off. That is what I am working towards. I am being sensible with my money, but I'm new to this. Try and think back to when you started out. I'm working very hard to build up a sustainable business.

My current gig is great - good rate, 10 minutes from home, nice office, and interesting work. I worked hard to get it (3 interviews) why should that be taken away from me.

Comment

Working...
                      X