• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The STOP button on web browsers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chicane View Post
    But this is Windows, where you often have to reboot the computer to kill a misbehaving app.
    So true
    Me, me, me...

Comment

The "Stop" button, which originated long before Microsoft had ever even made a web browser, will indeed stop all pending HTTP requests by the browser. Though not necessarily if it's a Microsoft browser, as MS (as usual) knew better than everybody else - or thought they did.

If, however, you have allowed a Java applet to download and get to the initialisation phase, that will then be doing its own thing on a distinct thread spawned by the browser process, for such content runs in a plugin, which is an executable external to the browser. If you're quick enough, and on a slow enough site, you may be able to go into whatever the task manager might be on your system, kill the Java process for the plugin, and see the browser carry on loading all the other assets on the page.

I suggest this experiment not because it's a worthwhile use of your time, but because it helps to illustrate that not only do browsers run HTTP requests for assets such as images, scripts, stylesheets, and plugin content like Flash and Java in parallel and asynchronously, but also that plugin content that relies on an external executable will have to spawn a child process that isn't under the full control of the browser process. When such content makes its own HTTP requests, it gets even murkier.

Hitting the "Stop" button, though it may stop the requests over which the browser has control, can't stop the operating system from executing spawned processes, nor prevent those processes from performing their own HTTP traffic.

But frankly, if you're using IE 6 you get what you deserve. Even Microsoft have trouble supporting IE 6 on their own site nowadays - there was an embarrassing incident the other week where the MS home page wouldn't render correctly, and also caused a script error. IE 6 is due for the graveyard. It never worked properly in the first place, MS conned people into thinking that what it did was correct, and now even MS accept that what it did was wrong and that it is generally a pile of fail.

If you have any choice, throw it in the toilet. If you don't, tough - ask your client why they force you to rely on antiquated and broken technology that even its creator has pretty much disowned.

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
        But this is Windows, where you often have to reboot the computer to kill a misbehaving app.
        I hibernate my PC, which I use 12+ hours a day for software development, internet and games, every night and haven't rebooted it for weeks. I also have no AV software (I do have firewall). It runs smoothly and without crashing... Outlook sometimes dies because it doesn't like gmail but otherwise the OS is remarkably stable.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          .........- ask your client why they force you to rely on antiquated and broken technology that even its creator has pretty much disowned.
          Ha Ha - in the style of Ralph from the Simpsons.

We still have Lotus Notes R7 (2006)

My previous client co had a 10Base2 LAN.
          Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            But frankly, if you're using IE 6 you get what you deserve. Even Microsoft have trouble supporting IE 6 on their own site nowadays .....and now even MS accept that what it did was wrong and that it is generally a pile of fail.

If you have any choice, throw it in the toilet. If you don't, tough - ask your client why they force you to rely on antiquated and broken technology that even its creator has pretty much disowned.
            Chef clicks Help > About Internet Explorer

ho hum, that's what kind of day it's going to be today then
            The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post

SNAP!
              Maybe we're at the same place.

Everyone should play the Geek Snap game it's fun. Perhaps a poll?
              Last edited by ace00; 2 April 2009, 09:32. Reason: ?
              Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post

WHS
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
                  Ha Ha - in the style of Ralph from the Simpsons.

We still have Lotus Notes R7 (2006)

My previous client co had a 10Base2 LAN.
                  Nelson

Comment

Originally posted by crack_ho View Post
                    Nelson
                    Well spotted. But what version of IE do u have?

6.0.2900.2180 is winning by a distance.
                    Last edited by ace00; 2 April 2009, 10:06. Reason: ??
                    Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
                      SNAP!
                      Maybe we're at the same place.

Everyone should play the Geek Snap game it's fun. Perhaps a poll?
                      me 2

Comment

Working...
                      X