• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

6+ months projects with 3 months contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    A contracting philosophical question…

I know that this wouldn’t trouble many of the more hard-nosed of you out there but I’m currently wrangling with this at the moment as my current contract runs till the end of March, so would appreciate your advice…

The project I’m in lasts until the end of August and I’m in the plan till then and am providing a large deliverable that has a considerable impact on the success of the project.

However… Agents are now calling with a view to tempt me away with better rates and longer duration of contract.

I’m torn with the fact that I’d be leaving mid-project, even though I would simply not take the extension…

I’m used to contracts lasting the same length of time as the project so this conflict doesn’t crop up.

What is the panel’s view on this?

(NB. I'm leaning to continue for professional pride, but does business pragmatism conflict with this?)

Hey Cojak that isn't a problem, I can almost here the sound of sawing as other contractors remove their arms to move into your position.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

I know that this wouldn’t trouble many of the more hard-nosed of you out there but I’m currently wrangling with this at the moment as my current contract runs till the end of March, so would appreciate your advice…

The project I’m in lasts until the end of August and I’m in the plan till then and am providing a large deliverable that has a considerable impact on the success of the project.

However… Agents are now calling with a view to tempt me away with better rates and longer duration of contract.

I’m torn with the fact that I’d be leaving mid-project, even though I would simply not take the extension…

I’m used to contracts lasting the same length of time as the project so this conflict doesn’t crop up.

(NB. I'm leaning to continue for professional pride, but does business pragmatism conflict with this?)
      Personally, I would be OK with not taking the extension.

I wouldn't walk mid-contract, but that is different.

I have found myself "in the project plan" before and have suspected that this was only because of the PM's sense of loyalty keeping me supplied with work, when all along I would have been happy to be out of there. I find that a frank off-site discussion usually sorts this out.

Of course, if you are the PM, then you should probably see the project to completion unless it is one of those unmanageable bohemoths that wreck the lives of several PMs before it is abandoned.

Comment

Thanks for the words of wisdom chaps.
        I'll probably stay but I'll bearing in mind the 'end of contract' trumps 'mid-project' principle in future...
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Back to the old comparison... if your builder left half-way through a job what would you think? Would you recommend him to anyone?
          That doesn't mean you shouldn't leave of course... but part of being a business is perhaps an air of professionalism which is not to grab a quick buck, but provide high quality workmanship.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Back to the old comparison... if your builder left half-way through a job what would you think? Would you recommend him to anyone?
            That doesn't mean you shouldn't leave of course... but part of being a business is perhaps an air of professionalism which is not to grab a quick buck, but provide high quality workmanship.
            If I employed a builder the contract would last until the end of the job.

In this case the client should have given a six month contract in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Yeah, and a builder would be the first to give a ****!

Mate of mine paid half up front for a new drive way and patio, with the driveway being more than 3 times the size of the patio. builder did the drive first, but refused to come back to do the patio as it was no longer worth it for him.

That being said, I do agree with the point made. I generally prefer to renew my contract whenever they are offered. In the current climate you'd be mad not too, but even in more buoyant times, I prefer to keep my client as happy as possible in order to hopefully win repeat business down the line.
              Last edited by jmo21; 11 March 2009, 08:36.

Comment

Thanks for the words of wisdom chaps.
                I'll probably stay but I'll bearing in mind the 'end of contract' trumps 'mid-project' principle in future...
                Any substitution clauses in either contract? Could you not bring someone in to do your work at the other client until you are able to commit to it?
                If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

A bird in the hand...........

When you're consistantly in contract, everyone thinks
                  "Hey I'm doing OK - Once again I've boomed - I don't need to worry - something will turn up"

When you've been on the bench for too long, you start thinking
                  "Heck, I'm a businessperson (!), I'll undercut your existing resource just to cut a sniff of a job - I'll even work the first week for free"

IMO, we are now at the start of the worst period of IT employment in the UK that we will ever see in our lifetime and it will last 10 years.
                  The goal today is to keep being employed (at whatever cost)

Don't kid yourself Cojak, if you were on the bench, this would NOT be happening.
                  - Agent knows its a "live" position
                  - Agent knows that your termination damms you to the client (you can't go back but the agent can replace you)

Comment

I'm in the same position as others here. Contract ends 31 March, but all project meetings refer to work till at least June, and always include me when talking about who will be doing what. I enjoy the thought that I'm free to go in a couple of weeks, while knowing that they want me here after that time and it's just a bit of admin that needs to be done if I want stay. 9 or 12 month gigs which split into 3 month contracts are fine by me, and completely routine. Also offers scope for rate negotiation, though I realise that might not be to the contractor's advantage right now (taken one small rate cut already - though the euro exchange rate actually meant I was still on a better rate than when I started ).

Comment

i'm with ivor ... stick with what you have as things are going to get a lot worse ...

Comment

Working...
                      X