• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can you sleep?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to fall asleep strap-hanging on the underground.

('used to' because nothing would make me go down there again.)
    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

In true AJP fashion :

Some people might say my life is in a rut,
      But Im quite happy with what I got
      People might say that I should strive for more,
      But Im so happy I cant see the point.
      Somethings happening here today
      A show of strength with your boys brigade and,
      Im so happy and youre so kind
      You want more money - of course I dont mind
      To buy nuclear textbooks for atomic crimes

And the public gets what the public wants
      But I want nothing this societys got -
      Im going underground, (going underground)
      Well the brass bands play and feet start to pound
      Going underground, (going underground)
      Well let the boys all sing and the boys all shout for tomorrow

Some people might get some pleasure out of hate
      Me, Ive enough already on my plate
      People might need some tension to relax
      [me? ] Im too busy dodging between the flak

What you see is what you get
      Youve made your bed, you better lie in it
      You choose your leaders and place your trust
      As their lies wash you down and their promises rust
      Youll see kidney machines replaced by rockets and guns

And the public wants what the public gets
      But I dont get what this society wants
      Im going underground, (going underground)
      Well the brass bands play and feet start to pound
      Going underground, (going underground)
      [so] let the boys all sing and the boys all shout for tomorrow

We talk and talk until my head explodes
      I turn on the news and my body froze
      The braying sheep on my tv screen
      Make this boy shout, make this boy scream!
      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        I've never been able to go to sleep while sitting down, e.g. in a plane or train seat or at work, but others appear to manage it without a problem. Presumably not pilots or train drivers. Can you? I have to lie down to sleep, but once laying down it's no problem anywhere, e.g. trains, planes and probably even under the work desk.

Can anyone sleep standing up?
        I cannot normally sleep at all unless I have consumed some alcohol.

I did once fall asleep in a pub one Saturday afternoon, but that was a day that I had arrived at Heathrow in the morning after a 25 hour journey from the other side of the world during which I had not slept at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          I’d still like to master the art of sleeping with my eyes open; useful in long ClientCo meetings.
          Apparently I do that. According to the missus, its very off putting when she gets home to see me crashed out on the settee with my eyes open yet fast asleep.

I also tend to be able to sleep most places, especially work when its really boring. I remember once sleeping through nearly the whole day. The IBM 3090 came with a built in console table which had a small wall at the end of it. Sitting in front of the console, manual leaned up against the table resting on lap, head against the wall and off I was. People, including management, wandered in throughout the day yet no-one said a word.

Another contract I used to get in at 6:00am, power up my PC, check mails and by 6:15am was sitting in the bog having 40 winks as no-one else used to get in until 9:00am when my colleague would come in and wake me up for breakfast. That would last until the tea break which would last until lunch which would last until afternoon tea break (although there were visits to the bookies in between) which would last until the going home drink down the pub. As you might guess, this was a public sector gig.
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I can sleep on planes, but I prefer not to (unless it's a really long overnight flight), because when I wake up I feel worse. Especially if I've had a drink.

Now the world has gone to bed,
            Darkness won't engulf my head.
            I can see by infra-red.
            How I hate the night.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
            X