• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

TV license

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Quite a few, it seems.

Also note such cases as The Netherlands, where the licence was abolished, but "...In order to pay for public television from government funds, income tax was increased."
    Yeah, I had been scanning the Wiki too. Seems our licence fee is on the cheapish side compared against the larger economies.

Comment

What they said. Well worth ~38p a day.

To address contractor79's original point (such as it was) about "not liking the BBC" and therefore wanting to cheat the system: there are lots of things I don't like paying taxes for. However I do so as it's one of the responsibilities one incurs in return for the privilege of living in a civilised society.

If you don't like it, why not move to Somalia? I believe they are much more relaxed about enforcing civic duties over there.
      it's not worth 38p per day to me I'm afraid, if you're so keen you pay for my license

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        How many civilised countries (so exclude the US) impose a TV licence / TV tax?
        ones with lots of lefties

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
          it's not worth 38p per day to me I'm afraid, if you're so keen you pay for my license
          I'd rather pay the £150* a day it would cost to keep you in nick, you tax dodging scumbag...

* made up figure...
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

1) Enforcement officers work for Capita, they have no right of entry.
            2) No evidence has ever been presented to a British court from a detector van.
            3) Wrap your TV in a Faraday cage - voila,no emissions.
            4) Every citizen has a duty to resist the State.

Comment

Originally Posted by TimberWolf View Post
              How many civilised countries (so exclude the US) impose a TV licence / TV tax?
              ones with lots of lefties
              All civilised countries have lots of lefties.

Comment

Given the number of tax evasion scams you're already up to, you'll be able to avoid the licence fee by using the prison's licence soon:

And those are just the ones you've posted about in public

Comment

I feel I should write to the Daily Mail, as I am outraged by the moral decline caused by Contractor79.

Contractor79 if you don't like our law, perhaps you should try your friends in Israel. I hear they're a really friendly country.
                  Last edited by FSM with Cheddar; 19 January 2009, 16:16. Reason: gramma
                  Originally posted by cailin maith
                  Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Given the number of tax evasion scams you're already up to, you'll be able to avoid the licence fee by using the prison's licence soon:

And those are just the ones you've posted about in public

I never do them, I just like to talk about them. Talk the talk etc.

Comment

Originally posted by dinker View Post
                      1) Enforcement officers work for Capita, they have no right of entry.
                      2) No evidence has ever been presented to a British court from a detector van.
                      3) Wrap your TV in a Faraday cage - voila,no emissions.
                      4) Every citizen has a duty to resist the State.
                      see I like this attitude
                      we shouldn't let the state scare us law-abiding citizens into paying for things like bbc

Comment

Working...
                      X