• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

TV license

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The vans do not actually exist, or they do not have anything in the back that can tell if a TV is on in a building.

They just made it up.

Comment

I don't mind the BBC although its right-wing editorial bias does annoy me, but there you are. I don't mind the principle of the TV Licence. What I do mind is the way the TV Licensing people hound you if you don't have a TV. Anyway, now we've got a TV so Curry's has informed on me and they're foaming at the mouth because we only use it for DVDs.

They're welcome to come round to check, but they ain't getting in without a warrant.

Comment

I'm watching how BrilloPad's brother does on that trading programme on BBC2 right now.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
          but the tv license money should be spread across all channels, not just given to one leftie broadcaster
          therefore, I should only have to pay license for BBC channels.
          Originally posted by tim123 View Post
          What is it that makes you think "not watching it much" entitles you not to buy a license?

You use it to watch TV, so a license is required, end of.

tim
          Licence

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
            I keep getting those letters and visits from the TV people but I never answer the door. Not had a licence for 8 years and I have no intention as I do not watch TV. I do like putting them through hassle though because I absolutely hate the BBC propaganda machine !!
            Yet you use one of their characters as your avatar.

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
              But the other channels have commercial revenue - BBC doesn't.
              Sorry but the BBC does have commercial revenue. Nowadays there's World Service, the much hated BBC Prime (you really don't want to know) and of course they always did sell programmes abroad.

And as the editor of an online magazine told me, they used the licence payers' money to build their web presence in a way that could be called unfair competition - everyone else had to fund their news sites from their own pockets.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                Sorry but the BBC does have commercial revenue. Nowadays there's World Service...
                The BBC World Service is a Foreign Office production and not related to the licence fee.
                Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                  Sorry but the BBC does have commercial revenue. Nowadays there's World Service, the much hated BBC Prime (you really don't want to know) and of course they always did sell programmes abroad.

And as the editor of an online magazine told me, they used the licence payers' money to build their web presence in a way that could be called unfair competition - everyone else had to fund their news sites from their own pockets.
                  Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
                  The BBC World Service is a Foreign Office production and not related to the licence fee.
                  Didn't know that....

But, I'd still pay the licence anyway.. it's not expensive and even though I don't watch much TV, it's still the law.
                  Bazza gets caught
                  Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
                    It's still an independent income from the licence fee Wiki entry, but yes, sorry, I meant the TV version which is actually called BBC World News.

BBC World News Front Page > Advertise With Us

"BBC World News, the BBC’s commercially funded international 24-hour news and information channel, offers advertisers the opportunity to reach a unique global audience.

In addition to spot placements and programme sponsorship, BBC World News's very own creative media unit can offer bespoke, innovative solutions for both regional and global campaigns as well as online activity with bbcworld.com."

Rate Card

"BBC World News has adsales teams situated worldwide in London, Paris, Frankfurt, New York, Dubai, Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore, Hong Kong, Singapore and Sydney. In addition to spot placements and programme sponsorship, BBC World News' in-house creative media team offers bespoke, innovative solutions for both regional and global on-air, off-air and digital campaigns."

Europe Peak Time rates

Peak Time 1900-2400 USD 3360
                    Last edited by Sysman; 20 January 2009, 19:08.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      I don't mind the BBC although its right-wing editorial bias does annoy me, but there you are.
                      but the tv license money should be spread across all channels, not just given to one leftie broadcaster
                      OK, I am confused - is anyone able to clarify for me whether the BBC is biased towards the left-wing or the right-wing?

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                      Same here, the BBC helps this country maintain what is possibly the highest standard of broadcasting in the world.
                      I totally agree with this. Those of you complaining about it should try living in a country where there is no equivalent - you'll give up watching TV and spend all day on the internet (regardless of whether a pot-noodle is involved )

I miss the BBC. I only ever listened to one of their radio stations, watched a few of the comedy and drama shows, checked the news website and ignored all the rest, but in amongst all that it produces some gems and the world would be a poorer place without them.

Comment

Working...
                      X