• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Traitors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I doubt many places would take me on as a permie, I am also too well qualified just to go in and do a code monkeys job like I do contracting. My last permie position was technical lead of a company.

I have also got enough to keep going for a couple of years and plan B is looking very promising at the moment.

After that I can always fall back on the girl's public sector wage.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
      WHS

Plus the problem is if the clients have any brains they won't take you on as a permie knowing you'll jump ship when things pick up. I made a few half hearted permie enquiries in the last slump and got nowhere with teens of years of contracting on my CV.
      Most places I know the contractors are the longest serving "members of staff"...

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
        Most places I know the contractors are the longest serving "members of staff"...
        WHS

There are people around here that I thought were permies and have been here for years; it's only when they started chatting about the rate cuts for 2009 that I realized they're contractors.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I'd consider it, if I was out of work for too long.

Problem is that I don't think there are many permie jobs that would give me the long holidays that I want to take each year.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I would think about it but the question is academic - nobody would employ me after being in the wild for so long
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I am currently looking at contract and permie. Anything to get through current storm.

Hope I can stay contract after 20 years continuous service.

Comment

From TFA:
                Almost 500 of 1,000 IT contract project managers surveyed said looking for a job on a full-time basis was the best strategy in their receding market.

Is it really valid to draw conclusions about contractors as a whole when the survey is only of contractor PMs?

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                  WHS

Plus the problem is if the clients have any brains they won't take you on as a permie knowing you'll jump ship when things pick up. I made a few half hearted permie enquiries in the last slump and got nowhere with teens of years of contracting on my CV.
                  Was about to post almost the same.

In the last recession nobody would touch me with a bargepole when I applied for permie roles.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I spoke to the IT director of my last clientco on the phone yesterday and he said he’d had >50 CVs arrive for one job, whereas he’d have been lucky to have 5 last year. However, when I asked him how many were suitable for the job he said ‘same as before, not more than two’.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Already done it, started last Monday.
                      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                      X