• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Traitors

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Traitors"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
    Most places I know the contractors are the longest serving "members of staff"...
    My longest stint in one spot was as a contractor. When it comes to the longevity of same desk / office / location, most contracts having beaten permieland hands down.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Do you have any friends?
    Not even virtual ones these days

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    I dislike permies too, even the ones who hire me
    Do you have any friends?

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    I dislike permies too, even the ones who hire me

Leave a comment:

• Purple Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    PM7, who commissioned the survey, employ permy Project Managers and charge them out at Contractor rates. They are also recruiting as well.

So, what better way to try and lessen the competition and get contract PMs to go and work for them so they can trouser the margin, than to try and spread this sort of rubbish around.
    You don't suggest a company in the IT industry is using Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt as a way to enhance profits? Well, I Never!

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    PM7, who commissioned the survey, employ permy Project Managers and charge them out at Contractor rates. They are also recruiting as well.

So, what better way to try and lessen the competition and get contract PMs to go and work for them so they can trouser the margin, than to try and spread this sort of rubbish around.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Already done it, started last Monday.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I spoke to the IT director of my last clientco on the phone yesterday and he said he’d had >50 CVs arrive for one job, whereas he’d have been lucky to have 5 last year. However, when I asked him how many were suitable for the job he said ‘same as before, not more than two’.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    WHS

Plus the problem is if the clients have any brains they won't take you on as a permie knowing you'll jump ship when things pick up. I made a few half hearted permie enquiries in the last slump and got nowhere with teens of years of contracting on my CV.
    Was about to post almost the same.

In the last recession nobody would touch me with a bargepole when I applied for permie roles.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    From TFA:
    Almost 500 of 1,000 IT contract project managers surveyed said looking for a job on a full-time basis was the best strategy in their receding market.

Is it really valid to draw conclusions about contractors as a whole when the survey is only of contractor PMs?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I am currently looking at contract and permie. Anything to get through current storm.

Hope I can stay contract after 20 years continuous service.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    I would think about it but the question is academic - nobody would employ me after being in the wild for so long

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I'd consider it, if I was out of work for too long.

Problem is that I don't think there are many permie jobs that would give me the long holidays that I want to take each year.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
    Most places I know the contractors are the longest serving "members of staff"...
    WHS

There are people around here that I thought were permies and have been here for years; it's only when they started chatting about the rate cuts for 2009 that I realized they're contractors.

Leave a comment:

• Purple Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    WHS

Plus the problem is if the clients have any brains they won't take you on as a permie knowing you'll jump ship when things pick up. I made a few half hearted permie enquiries in the last slump and got nowhere with teens of years of contracting on my CV.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X