• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New car

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skoda Superb 2.5 V6 TDi <--- A hell of a car for the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post

you watching fifth gear last night by any chance?

i'd consider a mondeo, they may be cheap but they are reliable
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
        you watching fifth gear last night by any chance?

i'd consider a mondeo, they may be cheap but they are reliable
        Nope, I had one for a couple of years as a company car. Very comfortable. Good performance and very well equipped.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
          Thanks for all the suggestions. I didn't put ford because they (IMO) are a bit cheap and crap and likely to break down. Of course I might wrong, but I'm not going to buy one.

Also, I perhaps should have been clearer - I just meant new for me, but it will likely be a used car. budgetting 10-14k.
          Seriously, you need to change your view of Ford. Compared to a Vectra a Mondeo is a class apart, and if you have a look at Reliability Index and look for a Mondeo built after 2003 they're one of the most reliable cars around.

Put your prejudice aside and go drive one, you may be in for a very pleasant surprise.
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
            Seriously, you need to change your view of Ford. Compared to a Vectra a Mondeo is a class apart, and if you have a look at Reliability Index and look for a Mondeo built after 2003 they're one of the most reliable cars around.

Put your prejudice aside and go drive one, you may be in for a very pleasant surprise.
            handy link - thanks
            "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Manic View Post
              The A4 is more Passat size if comparing like with like. The Audis also have AWD throught the range.
              No they dont, they have the Quattro as an option. Subaru (Forester as you mention) have AWD and true AWD no 40/60 like the Audi setup.
              I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                Agreed. I voted for Audi, but now you mention the Legacy, that would get my vote if in the poll. It's 4WD, very reliable, and less likely to be a target for thieves/vandals.
                Aren't legacy and forrester the weapon of choice for ramraiding threshers etc.

Scum tried to pinch a mate's legacy a number of times.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  Yes, talking of prejudices, if you're considering any Audi, then you owe it to yourself to seriously consider the Superb. I have a 2.5TDi Elegance that I've owned from new 3 years ago. It is a stunningly good car and saved me about £8k to £10k versus the Audis I used to buy. Not easy to sell on 2nd hand, true, but it doesn't matter, I aim to keep it another 3 to 4 years anyway.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                    Aren't legacy and forrester the weapon of choice for ramraiding threshers etc.

Scum tried to pinch a mate's legacy a number of times.
                    Not quite, but there are vehicles throughout the range offering a range of options to the discerning ramraider.

Legacy - ramraiding Waitrose.
                    Forester - ramraiding Millets.
                    Impreza - ramraiding Threshers.
                    B9 Tribeca - ramraiding continents.
                    Justy - ramraiding pillows.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                      What sort big cars? Do you mean Jags and Lexuses (Lexi?), or are Rollers and Bentleys now going cheap too?

I'd be seriously tempted by a cheap Roller, although we have discussed this on CUK before and there are various downsides. For example driving one makes you look older (which never occurred to me before someone mentioned it), and of course servicing and petrol costs a packet.
                      Allsorts going cheap including luxury and supercars.
                      http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/item.htm?id=5516
                      Last edited by Bagpuss; 6 January 2009, 16:07.
                      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                      X