• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: New car

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New car"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Aren't legacy and forrester the weapon of choice for ramraiding threshers etc.

Scum tried to pinch a mate's legacy a number of times.
    I stand corrected then. I was going on the experience of a mate who'd had his Beemer vandalised/stereo stolen several times, and switching to a Legacy saved him that aggro. Mind, that was about 10 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    What sort big cars? Do you mean Jags and Lexuses (Lexi?), or are Rollers and Bentleys now going cheap too?

I'd be seriously tempted by a cheap Roller, although we have discussed this on CUK before and there are various downsides. For example driving one makes you look older (which never occurred to me before someone mentioned it), and of course servicing and petrol costs a packet.
    Allsorts going cheap including luxury and supercars.
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/item.htm?id=5516
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 6 January 2009, 16:07.

Leave a comment:

• Chugnut
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post

Not quite, but there are vehicles throughout the range offering a range of options to the discerning ramraider.

Legacy - ramraiding Waitrose.
    Forester - ramraiding Millets.
    Impreza - ramraiding Threshers.
    B9 Tribeca - ramraiding continents.
    Justy - ramraiding pillows.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Skoda Superb 2.5 V6 TDi <--- A hell of a car for the money.
    Yes, talking of prejudices, if you're considering any Audi, then you owe it to yourself to seriously consider the Superb. I have a 2.5TDi Elegance that I've owned from new 3 years ago. It is a stunningly good car and saved me about £8k to £10k versus the Audis I used to buy. Not easy to sell on 2nd hand, true, but it doesn't matter, I aim to keep it another 3 to 4 years anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Agreed. I voted for Audi, but now you mention the Legacy, that would get my vote if in the poll. It's 4WD, very reliable, and less likely to be a target for thieves/vandals.

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    Originally posted by Manic View Post
    The A4 is more Passat size if comparing like with like. The Audis also have AWD throught the range.
    No they dont, they have the Quattro as an option. Subaru (Forester as you mention) have AWD and true AWD no 40/60 like the Audi setup.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Seriously, you need to change your view of Ford. Compared to a Vectra a Mondeo is a class apart, and if you have a look at Reliability Index and look for a Mondeo built after 2003 they're one of the most reliable cars around.

Put your prejudice aside and go drive one, you may be in for a very pleasant surprise.
    handy link - thanks

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I didn't put ford because they (IMO) are a bit cheap and crap and likely to break down. Of course I might wrong, but I'm not going to buy one.

Also, I perhaps should have been clearer - I just meant new for me, but it will likely be a used car. budgetting 10-14k.
    Seriously, you need to change your view of Ford. Compared to a Vectra a Mondeo is a class apart, and if you have a look at Reliability Index and look for a Mondeo built after 2003 they're one of the most reliable cars around.

Put your prejudice aside and go drive one, you may be in for a very pleasant surprise.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    you watching fifth gear last night by any chance?

i'd consider a mondeo, they may be cheap but they are reliable
    Nope, I had one for a couple of years as a company car. Very comfortable. Good performance and very well equipped.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post

you watching fifth gear last night by any chance?

i'd consider a mondeo, they may be cheap but they are reliable

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I didn't put ford because they (IMO) are a bit cheap and crap and likely to break down. Of course I might wrong, but I'm not going to buy one.

Also, I perhaps should have been clearer - I just meant new for me, but it will likely be a used car. budgetting 10-14k.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Vote Vectra!

But only because you didn't list anything Japanese. I think I'd go for a Honda Accord. There's also the Suburu Legacy that Top Gear raved about, and if you're looking for older, the pre 2002 Primeras are great.

Audi won't be reliable as the Japanese, and will cost you three times as much for each service.
    Agreed. I voted for Audi, but now you mention the Legacy, that would get my vote if in the poll. It's 4WD, very reliable, and less likely to be a target for thieves/vandals.
    Last edited by Sysman; 6 January 2009, 11:20.

Leave a comment:

• Chugnut
    replied
    The 3 Series Touring is generally considered a poor choice of estate. Servicing costs are rude with BMWs, and they are pretty cack in the snow and ice too.

Subaru Legacy is a very good choice. They're bombproof. It's a 4 wheel drive but not the Chelsea Tractor image Mrs Ruprect will most likely have in mind. Good engines whether diesel or petrol, and there's a factory-fitted LPG option also. Depreciation will be heavy for the first year or so, so a 56 or 07 would probably be a good choice.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    If you do want a little more space, I would go for the Ford S-Max.

Looks good, 7 seats, loads of space and drives well.

But really, the only car you should consider is a 3 Series Touring. The only drivers car.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X