• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New car

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    Need a new (bigger) car. Figured now might be a good time to buy. Sad, I know, but am thinking estate Surely better than MPV?

I don't know all the models, but thought I'd stick up a poll to get the panel's opinions. Assume I mean the estate version of the make...feel free to advise on what it is where appropriate. Please expand on your choices where possible and do suggest others! Thanks.

Personally I'm inclined towards the A6 as I already have an audi and the reliability is great, but happy to hear suggestions.

Also, don't bother suggesting 4x4s as the missus will have none of it.

No Andyw option. They're not funny anyway
    If you are after a nearly new big car there are some bargains going through at auction because nobody wants larger cars.
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

My Ford Orion 1.6i Ghia still works very well.

According to its VIN, next month will be twenty years since it came off the line at Halewood

Comment

Where is the Ford Focus option?

More helpfully - why not consider a used car? You can get a decent Vectra for around £8K.....

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
          If you are after a nearly new big car there are some bargains going through at auction because nobody wants larger cars.
          What sort big cars? Do you mean Jags and Lexuses (Lexi?), or are Rollers and Bentleys now going cheap too?

I'd be seriously tempted by a cheap Roller, although we have discussed this on CUK before and there are various downsides. For example driving one makes you look older (which never occurred to me before someone mentioned it), and of course servicing and petrol costs a packet.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Mondeo. Cheap to buy, cheap to run, hardly ever go wrong, and even if you're unlucky and it does it'll be cheap to fix.

Plus for a big car they're quite fun to drive.
            ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

I tested a Citroen C6 all weekend a few weeks ago (they're so desperate to sell cars a lot of dealers in NL will give you a car for the weekend). It was fantastic, but I told them to source a second hand one for me as I don't want to shell out on a new one. Will probably buy within a few weeks. I just hope it stays reliable, but I've heard good things from other owners so I shan't worry.

It's a bit 'alternative' but I like that. Quick enough, very comfortable and there's something just a little 'burlesque' about a black C6 with black leather interior.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

If you do want a little more space, I would go for the Ford S-Max.

Looks good, 7 seats, loads of space and drives well.

But really, the only car you should consider is a 3 Series Touring. The only drivers car.

Comment

The 3 Series Touring is generally considered a poor choice of estate. Servicing costs are rude with BMWs, and they are pretty cack in the snow and ice too.

Subaru Legacy is a very good choice. They're bombproof. It's a 4 wheel drive but not the Chelsea Tractor image Mrs Ruprect will most likely have in mind. Good engines whether diesel or petrol, and there's a factory-fitted LPG option also. Depreciation will be heavy for the first year or so, so a 56 or 07 would probably be a good choice.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    Vote Vectra!

But only because you didn't list anything Japanese. I think I'd go for a Honda Accord. There's also the Suburu Legacy that Top Gear raved about, and if you're looking for older, the pre 2002 Primeras are great.

Audi won't be reliable as the Japanese, and will cost you three times as much for each service.
                    Agreed. I voted for Audi, but now you mention the Legacy, that would get my vote if in the poll. It's 4WD, very reliable, and less likely to be a target for thieves/vandals.
                    Last edited by Sysman; 6 January 2009, 11:20.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. I didn't put ford because they (IMO) are a bit cheap and crap and likely to break down. Of course I might wrong, but I'm not going to buy one.

Also, I perhaps should have been clearer - I just meant new for me, but it will likely be a used car. budgetting 10-14k.
                      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                      X