• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Better on-line credit card security system coming soon

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Well I can't see any added value in it above being a normal PIN card without any security. The only thing is it's the only way to pay in the canteen and the station car park, so I'm forced to use it.
    The idea is that you only put a little money on it. It's an electronic purse/wallet - with the same security as a purse/wallet. As soon as you put money on it, it's deducted from your account. The merchant is guaranteed payment. If it's nicked, you lose whatever was put on it. But nothing else. What you gain is not having a pocket filled with change, and faster transactions.

But as I said - no-one I know uses it!
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Well I can't see any added value in it above being a normal PIN card without any security. The only thing is it's the only way to pay in the canteen and the station car park, so I'm forced to use it.
      If someone shoulder surf's me entering my pin number into one of those cards, and they steal my card, would they be able to make internet transactions with my details? Heh.... I haven't bought into it yet, but I guess I'll have to be extra vigilent when I use my card in public places.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Please note, what is being discussing above does not relate to the new system to be trailed next year, as linked to in the original post.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          Here's the Dutch version of it. I can't persuade Google translate to translate the page to English though...
          Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
          That looks quite similar to the units issued by Barclays, it's a bit of a variation on the old SecureID dial in authentication technology.

For that matter the credit card with display and keypad looks quite similar too.
          Yep, it;s just like the Barclays one. It's a fecking pain in the ass though.... Jesus all I want to do is view my balance and transactions and I have to ass about with this thing... drives me bonkers. In fact it's a minor miracle I haven't lost it yet
          Bazza gets caught
          Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Oh, that's a different thingummyjig; it's for accessing the internet banking and comfirming transactions. It generates codes unique to the client and the transaction which you then type into the website.
            Yeah - I've got 2 of 'em - Barclays and Natwest..
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

If they're like the Nationwide one, they're a pain in the A$$

Used to take me 20 minutes to do my monthly bills, now it's the best part of an evening...

I'm sure they're driving it this way to make you use Direct Debits

Anyway, if they've dreamed this system up, then you can bet that the theives will be dreaming up a way to nobble it tonight!
              'elf and safety guru

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post
                If they're like the Nationwide one, they're a pain in the A$$

Used to take me 20 minutes to do my monthly bills, now it's the best part of an evening...

I'm sure they're driving it this way to make you use Direct Debits

Anyway, if they've dreamed this system up, then you can bet that the theives will be dreaming up a way to nobble it tonight!
                Hmm, it seems that (earlier) derivatives of this scheme are in more widespread use than I realised. Why does keying a pin code on a credit card and entering a generated security code take so much extra time?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  Hmm, it seems that (earlier) derivatives of this scheme are in more widespread use than I realised. Why does keying a pin code on a credit card and entering a generated security code take so much extra time?
                  Get card reader and card
                  Enter transaction on PC.
                  Insert card in reader, when ready:
                  Press whichever button the web site tells you to.
                  Press OK
                  Enter PIN
                  Press OK
                  If PIN fails, start to sweat and repeat REALLY slowly and carefully, snapping at anyone who speaks in the vicinity and puts you off
                  Enter amount
                  Press OK
                  Copy code from reader to PC
                  OK on web site.

That's one done; repeat etc.

It probably really doesn't take long but it sure seems to.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                    Get card reader and card
                    Enter transaction on PC.
                    Insert card in reader, when ready:
                    Press whichever button the web site tells you to.
                    Press OK
                    Enter PIN
                    Press OK
                    If PIN fails, start to sweat and repeat REALLY slowly and carefully, snapping at anyone who speaks in the vicinity and puts you off
                    Enter amount
                    Press OK
                    Copy code from reader to PC
                    OK on web site.

That's one done; repeat etc.

It probably really doesn't take long but it sure seems to.
                    Ah, but I think with this new card the codes are generated by the card without necessitating a reader, or it being being connected to a remote site (aside via the retailer in the normal way). This does mean that the cards will get cracked sooner or later though. I imagine that websites will generate a transaction code, but technical details aren't given on the page I looked at. If not, it would work even simpler, just type in a pin and the machine will generate a code that you type in instead of the CCV number on the back of the card.

Comment

Nationwide sent me some card-reader type of unit. Which when I'm making a online purchase - or using their website - I have to use to respond to questions - Kinda like a RSA Securid
                      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                      X