• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Meta-study shows religious people are less intelligent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    As athiests, we should just agree to differ and let the religious folks get on with their lives and beliefs.

Let's face it, if something did happen to change the scales and the burden of proof, I guarantee that as Athiests, we will be the FIRST to have knocks on our doors by the religious, keen to show us new evidence.

Until then, leave each man and woman be, for that way we can all get along.
    Would be nice if fundamentalist religious people agreed with this sentiment...
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

It's a bit of a shame, I quite like discussions on this kind of thing, but this forum's no good for that. I don't mind people violently disagreeing (I think they end up looking stupid and unable to argue coherently) but it's impossible to have a chain of discussion with people going off on tangents and making jokes... you'd make some comment and suddenly there are 6 new pages when you return
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
        Sas, be fair matey.

You know that Deano cannot answer your questions to your own satisfaction.

To his own, most probably and that's his choice.

Let's face it, he's the one that believes, and that's good enough for him.

Unless he is holding a gun to your head and asking you to believe as well, then why not leave him be ? He's happy, you're happy, everyone's happy.

I'm an athiest too, but athieism can also have its moments of frothing at the mouth and being just as unpleasant as can some of the religious extremists.

As athiests, we should just agree to differ and let the religious folks get on with their lives and beliefs.

Let's face it, if something did happen to change the scales and the burden of proof, I guarantee that as Athiests, we will be the FIRST to have knocks on our doors by the religious, keen to show us new evidence.

Until then, leave each man and woman be, for that way we can all get along.
        Fair enough - but if we are having a debate, I'd like at least an attempt to be logical
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
          Would be nice if fundamentalist religious people agreed with this sentiment...
          But that's baloney. If a key part of your faith is to share your faith, how can you be true to your faith if you don't share your faith?

Damnit... don't get sucked in....

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            But that's baloney. If a key part of your faith is to share your faith, how can you be true to your faith if you don't share your faith?

Damnit... don't get sucked in....
            Share? Or impose (and/or kill randomly)?
            "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I know it's a shock to some that God may be interested in people who don't consider themselves geniuses but hey

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Compared to you most people are

Seriously though, we can't take the debate forward unless you answer my questions, don't you think? I'll repeat them for you:

1) Please point to some evidence that "God" exists?
                2) How can you persuade me that your faith is right and the Muslims are wrong?
                Okay, question 1. Previously on this thread I wrote....

There is no evidence for a supernatural being because by definition that means the being is "beyond" nature. And the only tools we have available are the ones we have fashioned from within nature. Ergo, there is no way to prove the existence of God.

That is why it is called faith.

Which bit don't you get?

2) It may not persuade you, but to be frank I don't really care whether I do or not. There's nothing in it for me after all. But it does for me. You might need to read around the subject though, but anyone who was around in the aftermath of 9/11 and who wasn't terribly dull might get the reference. I don't hold out much hope for you.

Genesis 17.17-27

17Then Abraham fell on his face and laughed, and said to himself, “Can a child be born to a man who is a hundred years old? Can Sarah, who is ninety years old, bear a child?” 18And Abraham said to God, “O that Ishmael might live in your sight!” 19God said, “No, but your wife Sarah shall bear you a son, and you shall name him Isaac. I will establish my covenant with him as an everlasting covenant for his offspring after him.

Easy peasy. I'm beginning to think that with all the simple questions and having to keep repeating the answer, you might actually be a bit... well simple.
                When money ceases to be the tool by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of men. Blood, whips and guns--or dollars. Take your choice - Ayn Rand, Atlas.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
                  Share? Or impose (and/or kill randomly)?
                  Not sure it makes a difference, if you really believe (regardless if you are right). I don't know anything about faiths that are claimed preach violence, but in Christianity it's a real big deal if you are converted or not... the kind of people who care about others and are also Christians are SURE they are helping you out. You can say they should mind their own business but people of that type in all areas of life will act to help you even if you don't ask.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Fair enough - but if we are having a debate, I'd like at least an attempt to be logical
                    See, that's what really makes atheists insane with frustration. Why on Earth should I be logical?

You can have the most insightful, rational and logical argument possible, backed with masses of scientific evidence, but there is no power in the universe that can MAKE me give up my faith. I can choose to be persuaded by your argument, but if I choose not to be then you are stumped!
                    When money ceases to be the tool by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of men. Blood, whips and guns--or dollars. Take your choice - Ayn Rand, Atlas.

Comment

I haven't been following sas' and deano's discussion but faith does defy proof by its very nature. If you can prove using science that many/all things recorded in the bible happened, that still doesn't prove God - you can still say "what about...". Even in the bible stories, people who witnessed miracles and Jesus' teaching still didn't believe.

Comment

Working...
                      X