• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The death of contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Francko View Post
    Another liar at the "I just do it for the money". There are many easier, faster and durable ways of making money. Possible you didn't see any of them?
    Possible you are not making any sense at all with your rambling.....

Comment

ok, I'll talk about the pound
      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

I am noticing that more and more companies are not interested in real contractors (meaning no need of being in the office all the time, possibility of taking long leaves, short term commitment and so on) any longer. All they want is permies with a shorter notice and a slightly higher premium to pay for this flexibility.

Discuss or else talk about the pound.
        As long as I can continue paying less tax than the permies sitting next to me I'm happy. I love explaining how expenses work to them: "I buy my season ticket before tax, you buy yours after tax". Little things like that keep me going!

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
          As long as I can continue paying less tax than the permies sitting next to me I'm happy. I love explaining how expenses work to them: "I buy my season ticket before tax, you buy yours after tax". Little things like that keep me going!
          I keep quiet about this stuff - it wouldn't take too much to persuade a manky government to change the rules. I also don't feel the need to brag to the permies - they are miserable enough already, and I don't want them thinking they could all be contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
            Nice post, shoes.

I think you forgot HR departments and preferrred supplier lists which force you down the agency perma-temp route.

I also think that Franko has been at the Chianti again - can't take their ale them EyeTies.
            LOL, not really I am not in the Chianti region but they make a wonderful Merlot here (http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/news/tra...90606000&ty=st).

Some small jokes aside, maybe it's only me, but I also joined the contracting wagon because I thought of it as my way of viewing how work and cooperation among individuals should work. We are all small companies, all of equal rights and dues, everybody contributing and taking responsibility for his part, instead of a big brother controlling everything and everyone. No slaves, no masters, everybody is in the same league; surely some people would earn more, other less but the point is that there is no hierarchy, everybody is democratically free. I am sad that it's only me who had this poetic view. I wished in the future everybody would be a contractor but the trend seems to prove me wrong.
            I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

I would rather starve to death as a contractor than
              pay a single penny toward another awkward
              Christmas kneesup with a bunch of people that
              I can't stand.

I am noticing that more and more companies are not interested in real contractors (meaning no need of being in the office all the time, possibility of taking long leaves, short term commitment and so on) any longer. All they want is permies with a shorter notice and a slightly higher premium to pay for this flexibility.

Discuss or else talk about the pound.

Comment

Some small jokes aside, maybe it's only me, but I also joined the contracting wagon because I thought of it as my way of viewing how work and cooperation among individuals should work. We are all small companies, all of equal rights and dues, everybody contributing and taking responsibility for his part, instead of a big brother controlling everything and everyone. No slaves, no masters, everybody is in the same league; surely some people would earn more, other less but the point is that there is no hierarchy, everybody is democratically free. I am sad that it's only me who had this poetic view. I wished in the future everybody would be a contractor but the trend seems to prove me wrong.
                I became a contractor because the money was better.
                I went Ltd because the Agency told me to.

Both these things still apply.

No higher motives for me.

Comment

Well I do mind. When I started contracting I thought of it as a political revolution, as the masses freed from the oppressors and the stinky capitalist who will drown because of profits being equally redistributed about workers, about freedom of mind and from belongings to group and social categories. It was a dream. Now it's just about getting a little extra tip at the end of the day. Sorry but that is very disillusioning.
                  You're not English are you......
                  Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                    I keep quiet about this stuff - it wouldn't take too much to persuade a manky government to change the rules. I also don't feel the need to brag to the permies - they are miserable enough already, and I don't want them thinking they could all be contractors.
                    Must agree with that. I find that bragging about the money you bring in as a contractor tends to sour relationships with the client co.

Managers get upset you that from their understanding you earn as much as them (if not more which is more usual), other permies get upset that you earn way in excess of what they do, etc.

Just keep you head down, imply the agent takes a very large percentage of what they pay out (which is usually true anyway) and point out that potentially you have a much higher tax burden. Then they can be happy that they don't have the hassle of being a contractor and don't feel quite so useless.

The way to work is not do what one of the guys who just started where I am did. Wander in bragging about how he just got a payment of £40,000 in his bank account for the last 3 months work, acting as if all the permies are scum, or stupid and generally rubbing everybody up the wrong way.

Chances of him getting an extension........

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
                      Must agree with that. I find that bragging about the money you bring in as a contractor tends to sour relationships with the client co.

Managers get upset you that from their understanding you earn as much as them (if not more which is more usual), other permies get upset that you earn way in excess of what they do, etc.

Just keep you head down, imply the agent takes a very large percentage of what they pay out (which is usually true anyway) and point out that potentially you have a much higher tax burden. Then they can be happy that they don't have the hassle of being a contractor and don't feel quite so useless.
                      The way to work is not do what one of the guys who just started where I am did. Wander in bragging about how he just got a payment of £40,000 in his bank account for the last 3 months work, acting as if all the permies are scum, or stupid and generally rubbing everybody up the wrong way.

Chances of him getting an extension........
                      ++1

Comment

Working...
                      X