• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Book Club: Currently reading...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rereading* the 'zones of thought' trilogy by Vernor Vinge.
    should keep me going for a while

*cos I can't find any decent new Science Fiction. it all seems to be rehashes of old ideas. even the steampunk genre's become a sausage machine
    Last edited by sadkingbilly; 31 December 2022, 15:43.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
      Next: Lions donkeys & dinosaurs by Lewis Page: the impressive story of the MOD & their endless wasting of money.
      Done. He's really unimpressed with BAE & who can blame him? Equally unimpressed with the MOD.

And quite why the armed forces are so top heavy is a mystery wrapped up in an enigma.

Next: TBD. "Things can only get better" by John o'Farrell being a memoir of the glories of the Ditch the Bitch era.

Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 12 January 2023, 09:06.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post
        Just started on my Terry Pratchett collection again..... Sadly missed genius.
        I have converted them to audiobooks and when I have a long drive I can enjoy them.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Next: TBD "All our Todays": 40 years of the Today programme by Paul Donovan. Really up to the moment stuff. written in 1997. .
          Done. It became quite tedious towards the end.

Lots of vaguely remembered names. 1997 being a long time ago, like. . I have no recollection whatever of Anna Ford being a presenter on Today.

Next: TBD. "Dirty Words" by Mark Morton. Dunno how this one will go, it being about etymology.
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 16 January 2023, 10:21.

Comment

As a huge fan of American Noir I really loved The Contortionist’s Handbook by Craig Clevenger. A cross between Chuch Pahlaniuk and James Ellroy. Top recommended reading list in the appendices too.

Just starting on The Shards by Brett Easton Ellis - been looking forward to this for ages, it's his first book in over ten years.

...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Next: TBD. "Things can only get better" by John o'Farrell being a memoir of the glories of the Ditch the Bitch era.
              Done.

Next: "An utterly impartial history of Britain" by John O'Farrell.

Moderately amusing: I've got as far as 1066 and the Norman bastards since I woke at 05:58 and read for an hour before returning to the land of nod.

Comment

George MacDonald Fraser - Flashman. The first book in the series.

Just finished Tom Brown's Schooldays (which actually doesn't have a lot of Flashman & his bullying antics in it) so seemed a logical choice.

Comment

The Hour: A Cocktail Manifesto by Bernard DeVolo

One man's highly opinionated (and tongue-in-cheek) view that there is only one type of cocktail worth having - a martini. It must be made a certain way and drunk at a certain hour. Anything else is an abomination, especially if it contains rum.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    The Hour: A Cocktail Manifesto by Bernard DeVolo

One man's highly opinionated (and tongue-in-cheek) view that there is only one type of cocktail worth having - a martini. It must be made a certain way and drunk at a certain hour. Anything else is an abomination, especially if it contains rum.
                    What's his opinion of whiskey drinkers?

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post

What's his opinion of whiskey drinkers?
                      Mixed!

Comment

Working...
                      X