• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Book Club: Currently reading...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having finished Mr Danziger's journal of journeys through the underclass in the 1990s, now on to "Poisoned Peace: 1945 - the war that never ended" by Gregor Dallas, one of the early boomers.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

I'm reading Why Women are Blamed for Everything: Exploring the Victim Blaming of Women Subjected to Violence and Trauma.

Written by a radical feminist (I'm more of a liberal feminist myself) it takes a no-holds-barred look at how women who have been subject to violence at the hands of men are treated. Some of the real-world examples have been very eye opening.

She asked for it. She was flirting. She was drinking. She was wearing a revealing dress. She was too confident. She walked home alone. She stayed in that relationship. She was naïve. She didn't report soon enough. She didn't fight back. She wanted it. She lied about it. She comes from a bad area. She was vulnerable. She should have known.

Victim blaming of women is prevalent and normalised in society.

What causes us to blame women who have been abused, raped, trafficked, assaulted or harassed by men? Why are we uncomfortable with placing all of the blame on perpetrators for their crimes against women?
      Last edited by ladymuck; 23 June 2020, 13:03.

Comment

Quite enjoyed the Salisbury Poisonings drama on the bbc last week, so I picked up The Skripal Files: The full story behind the Salisbury Poisonings by Mark Urban.
        A bit dry in places as it's very detailed with the names/history etc of everybody involved but I'm enjoying it

Comment

Bulltulip Jobs: A Theory, by David Graeber

Funny, sad, enlightening. A must read for any new graduate trainee.
          Last edited by GreenT; 24 June 2020, 18:58.

Comment

'use of weapons' - Ian M Banks
            having reread Neil Asher, i'm now rereading him.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
              'use of weapons' - Ian M Banks
              having reread Neil Asher, i'm now rereading him.
              I miss Mr Banks. I need to read more of his non-SciFi stuff too.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                "The Complex" by Nick Turse.

That being the Military Industrial Complex or How I stopped worrying and learned to love the bomb.
                Well the MOAB rather than nukes but there you go.

And, finally, the book has went, thank feck.

Now reading "A History of Modern Computing" by Ceruzzi.

A History of Modern Computing (History of Computing): Amazon.co.uk: Ceruzzi, Paul E., Aspray, William, Misa, Thomas J.: 9780262532037: Books

Or history as it was up to 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                  Having finished Mr Danziger's journal of journeys through the underclass in the 1990s, now on to "Poisoned Peace: 1945 - the war that never ended" by Gregor Dallas, one of the early boomers.
                  Took a while but got through it in the end.

Now: Quirkology the curious science of everyday lives by Richard Wiseman.

Thankfully the print is a bit larger.

Comment

And having ploughed my way through Quirkology after a bit of a struggle, we are now reading "Engineers of Victory" by Paul Kennedy, being an analysis of the engineering that so assisted in the defeat of nasty people in the last global unpleasantness, possibly touching on how we gave all these marvelous inventions to the septics who were as keen on destroying the British Empire as they were on fecking up the Nasty People.

Comment

Finished "Engineers of Victory" some weeks ago.

Just finished "The Second World War" by Anthony Beevor, another tombstone of a book at 780 pages with another 100 or so references & bibliography.

Just started "Willing Slaves" by Madeleine Bunting, a 2004 book I bought in 2012 for 99p according to the receipt.

Just started "Lorenz" by Captain Jerry Roberts, being his story of how the Lorenz or Tunny encryption was broken in BP during the last global unpleasantness, written in 2012 shortly before his death in 2014 at the age of 93.

Unlike many of the BP books, quite an easy read.

Comment

Working...
                      X