• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dentists - Are they worth the money?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swiss dentists charge by the 5 minutes. Wife had root canal surgery to remove one wisdom tooth - cost ~£6000.

Could have had it done in Hungary for ~£2000, including the hotel for a week.

Once in Hungary, one of my kids got a painful inflamed gum. A local dentist opened up her surgery specially for us; it had all the latest equipment. She charged us €10.

I use a dentist across the border in Germany.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I use a local dentist in the UK, but he's South African and very good.

I had a fear of dentists since childhood and hadn't been to one for many years. But a couple of years ago I had such a bad toothache I just had to go. I had an extraction and a root canal done in the same session and it cost about £600 including the checkup, temporary filling and 2 visits to the hygenist. I was quite amazed at the effectiveness of modern anaesthetics as it didn't hurt at all - even when he drilled the remains of the nerve out of the root canal.
      It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by oraclesmith View Post
        I use a local dentist in the UK, but he's South African and very good.

I had a fear of dentists since childhood and hadn't been to one for many years. But a couple of years ago I had such a bad toothache I just had to go. I had an extraction and a root canal done in the same session and it cost about £600 including the checkup, temporary filling and 2 visits to the hygenist. I was quite amazed at the effectiveness of modern anaesthetics as it didn't hurt at all - even when he drilled the remains of the nerve out of the root canal.
        That made me quiver...
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Swiss dentists charge by the 5 minutes. Wife had root canal surgery to remove one wisdom tooth - cost ~£6000.

Could have had it done in Hungary for ~£2000, including the hotel for a week.

Once in Hungary, one of my kids got a painful inflamed gum. A local dentist opened up her surgery specially for us; it had all the latest equipment. She charged us €10.

I use a dentist across the border in Germany.
          I hope they advised here that RCT in Molars has a high rate of failure - especially wisom teath where the roots are hadley ever stright making it harder to remove the nerve. Also this makes the tooth more brittle and prone to breaking, so may have to have it crowned later on.

I knew 7 years as dental nurse would be handy sometime..
          Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            That made me quiver...
            WHS. And not in a good way.
            Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
              I hope they advised here that RCT in Molars has a high rate of failure - especially wisom teath where the roots are hadley ever stright making it harder to remove the nerve. Also this makes the tooth more brittle and prone to breaking, so may have to have it crowned later on.

I knew 7 years as dental nurse would be handy sometime..
              What about cheap foreign crowns - is it going to hurt nurse?
              Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
                Just put those glasses on which show you a good action flick. You won't feel a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                  Please try to refrain from mentioning bacon sarnies (or other delicacies) as I am currently working in Germany and the chances of seeing one of them in the near future is pretty much nil.
                  I quite often have bacon sarnies here, you just have to look around for good bacon.

Also just got back from the dentist (my son too, he had 2 wisdom teeth taken out) and she wasn't too sure what the problem was. Either take a wisdom tooth out or put me on anti-biotics for a few days and see what happens. You can guess what choice I took...
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
                    Most Eurpean dentists use the 'air gun' injection which is far less painless - there are some overhere must most like to give the good old needle, however after root canal work there is no nerve so you should not need one. topical anaesthetic to numb the gum

Just call me matron!
                    Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post

Just call me matron!
                      Do you have a matron's outfit?

Comment

Working...
                      X