• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I get better work as a contractor than I did as a permie, what do others think?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find that the work I get is more interesting, in that I don't usually have to do much maintenance - obviously, the corrollary of this is that I try to ensure that my code is easily maintainable for those who come after.

So if, to take an actual example, I end up working round one of the limitations of XSLT 1.0 by an exceptionally exotic technique that owes a lot to FORTH programming techniques (and which took me a couple of days to dream up), I document it in depth, in a comment, right there in the code, and explain how it could be done more efficiently using XSLT 2.0, in case they ever upgrade.

Actually I've often found that, although I get the interesting work, I get less of it per unit of time - it's not unusual for me to be taken on, and for the project to then suffer delays from other parts of the organisation. I'm usually kept on with repeated extensions, because they don't want to lose me. Although I generally try to do something of value to the client during these phases, there are times when I get good rates for doing very little, as my post count in TPD demonstrates

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      ... I generally try to do something of value to the client during these phases, there are times when I get good rates for doing very little, as my post count in TPD demonstrates
      IR35 fodder

When I have little work to do, I take a few days off, or work for another client. Keeps the interest going.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts, generally my experience is reflected above. Though I do have to sometimes remind the "management" that I'm not one of their staff if I've been somewhere more than a few months. Point taken about IR35 fodder.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
        X