• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fed up now...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    Quite.

Maybe it was that I was thinking of.
    No, you were right. I has also been cited as the inspiration for Blade Runner too.

I suppose Merthyr and Swansea back in the 19th Century would have been equally dismally inspiring.

If not more so.
    I should think that would apply to lots of the industrialised Britain.

With life made cheerful with children dying of the pollution and the dragoons firing upon you if you decided to object about the conditions.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Sweary filter has knacked the linky

Cold, wet and here today.

Comment

Average Life expectancy in Merthyr was 18... I suspect it may have been a blessed release under the circumstances.
        Presumably it was so low in part because of very high infant mortality?

Crawshay's grave in Vaynor cemetary has the inscription "May God forgive me".
        Was he that barking mad loon who named his son Jesus backwards or some such? Buried deep under a rock to stop the devil digging him up again?
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Iron Master, Merthyr Tydfil. Buried under an iron gravestone weighing some tons by the look of it. Local habit appears to involve spitting on same as you venture past.
          <shudder>

I tried searching for the story I was told some years ago (Jesus Christ in Welsh backwards), my laptop locked up and it has taken me until now to recover it.

I think what I was told was a mixture of stories. Some of it was based on that grave and some of it was based on this:

"Dr William Price - he was the eccentric pioneer of cremation who gained some notoriety in 1884 when he burned the body of his deceased son, Iesu Grist. "

I'm not going to research any further. The mix of Satanism, druidism and evil capitalism is all too much.

Comment

Lovely clear day here today. So I have no excuse* not to get up the ladders and sort out the Christmas lights

* Well, that's not stricly true - I do have plenty of excuses, just no good ones.
            Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
              I have no excuse- I do have plenty of excuses
              E.G. post 7,000?

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                E.G. post 7,000?
                Oh blimey, yeah - I hadn't noticed that. I'll let the missus know I'm busy with something far more important than swaying at the top of ladders 8m above the ground whilst trying to wield a hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
                  I'll let the missus know I'm busy with something far more important than swaying at the top of ladders 8m above the ground whilst trying to wield a hammer.
                  Yes, like checking she hasn't taken any additional life insurance policies out on you.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                    Yes, like checking she hasn't taken any additional life insurance policies out on you.
                    the hacksaw to any critical structural joints on the ladders

Comment

Is it just me or is it still NOT WINTER??....

Every morning I'm out the house about 7am dressed like I'm ready for a blizzard, then spend te rest of my commute getting sweaty and de-layering.
                      sure it's dark, grey, wet and windy, but with these temperatures i can count fewer than 7 days since summer that I would class as proper wintery.

Global warming?

Comment

Working...
                      X