• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dopey Fools

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

there there Milan, nobody's complaining about tape changing speeds, it's ok, continue with invoicing
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
      all sounds very technical and geeky to me

Milan.
      WHS

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
        Not knowing anything about what you're talking about,...
        It's rather like replacing the fuse that keeps blowing in your fusebox with a thick copper bar.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          It's rather like replacing the fuse that keeps blowing in your fusebox with a thick copper bar.
          When the proper response is to run an extension lead from next door's external socket
          Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

This is easily solved with the std .net solution.

Throw money at it and buy more/bigger/lots of kit.

Where do I send the invoice?

HTH

Comment

At a place I worked at many moons ago we had a UPS for the servers. Around th office there were a few red plug sockets which people were told not to use (asking for trouble I know). When we had a power cut the UPS lasted 3 mins due to the load placed on it by fan heaters and kettles.
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                At a place I worked at many moons ago we had a UPS for the servers. Around th office there were a few red plug sockets which people were told not to use (asking for trouble I know). When we had a power cut the UPS lasted 3 mins due to the load placed on it by fan heaters and kettles.
                "Well, without the heat from the servers we'll catch our death, and we can't help fix the power outages without a good brew, can we?"

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
                  Not knowing anything about what you're talking about, I'm curious to know, what is the solution then ?
                  The UPS is at the very limits of it's capacity and minor variations in power consumption from the server, fans running faster or just the CPU pulling more power to run an extra service, are tipping over the edge. When this happens the default action for the UPS is to tell the server to shut down cleanly because the UPS cannot supply sufficient power for reliable operation.

The band aid they applied is to shut down the Exchange Service on the server to reduce power consumption. This will work in the short term but any additional loads placed on the UPS for any reason will tip it over again. On top of that UPS power outputs tend to degrade over time anyway so in 12months it's output may well dip back below the required levels and trigger the problem again.

The proper solution is to buy a new UPS with a larger load capacity.

I suspect the Team Leader involved didn't spec the UPS correctly and can't just order a new one becase then his mistake would be revealed.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                    The band aid they applied is to shut down the Exchange Service on the server to reduce power consumption. This will work in the short term but any additional loads placed on the UPS for any reason will tip it over again.
                    Not to mention scenarios such as Microsoft releasing a security update which causes, say, three different services to all consume slightly more CPU, which then occasionally causes the total load to reach the trigger level again, and they're back where they started.

(There's also the question of why the server was running a service that isn't required - for efficient performance, a server should run only the services it requires to do its job. But that's a different manifestation of numptiness.)

Comment

So now they have shut down the "Exchange Service", has anyone mentioned that email seems a bit dead?

Comment

Working...
                      X