• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I've started applying for a visa to go and live in Australia

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long are you guys expecting the application process to take - I mean from application to granting of the permenant visa?

just curious....
    Last edited by beeker; 17 June 2008, 10:19.

Comment

Originally posted by themistry View Post
      I am doing this at the moment.

You do not need to get your degree recognised if you have over 4 years full time experiance. You just need good references covering your skills.

TM
      Unfortunately my degree is in Hotel and Catering, hence having to go down the tortuous Recognition of Prior Learning route. If only I'd listened to the parents all those years ago
      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by beeker View Post
        i'm moving there on a years visa in August at the end of the current gig! Can't wait as I think our summer has already passed us by!

I'm off to Perth - where you headed and are you applying for permenant visa or years working one like me with a view to finding a permenant job?

Beeker, are you going on a Working Holiday Visa?

have you got any info on getting IT roles with one of these, i.e. is it possible?

i may try the same.

Thanks
        TM

Comment

How long are you guys expecting the application process to take - I mean from application to granting odf the permenant visa?

just curious....
          First thing is the skills assessment from the Australian Computer Society, which takes about 3 months.

You can only apply for the visa once you've got the skills assessment, which can take anything up to a year depending on police checks, medicals, stuff getting lost in the post.

So I'm hoping to be there by 2010
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            One highly skilled migrant out, twenty unemployable, uneducated, non-english speaking AIDS ridden migrants in.

It all balances out in the UK.
            moderately skilled blagger
            ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by themistry View Post
              Beeker, are you going on a Working Holiday Visa?

have you got any info on getting IT roles with one of these, i.e. is it possible?

i may try the same.

Thanks
              TM
              Yep working holiday visa, permits you to work with any 1 employer for up to 6 months max. I have it on good authority that you can extend the 6 months with the one client by going through someones MyCo.

The visa took 24hrs to come through, and now means I am "eligible" for work, so I can apply for jobs through jobserve closer to the time!

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                First thing is the skills assessment from the Australian Computer Society, which takes about 3 months.

You can only apply for the visa once you've got the skills assessment, which can take anything up to a year depending on police checks, medicals, stuff getting lost in the post.

So I'm hoping to be there by 2010
                To get into Australia/USA/Canada/New Zealand to live you need:

proven top flight education
                perfect written and spoken English
                top flight skills and years of proven experience
                to be medically fit and free from disease
                to be free from criminal convictions and to be vetted
                to have references from employers and character witnesses.

To get into the UK to live you need:

A bag
                Some shoes
                A train/plane/boat ticket

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  To get into Australia/USA/Canada/New Zealand to live you need:

proven top flight education
                  perfect written and spoken English
                  top flight skills and years of proven experience
                  to be medically fit and free from disease
                  to be free from criminal convictions and to be vetted
                  to have references from employers and character witnesses.

To get into the UK to live you need:

A bag
                  Some shoes
                  A train/plane/boat ticket

I don't think the ticket's an essential. You can just hide in a truck.
                  ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Yep working holiday visa, permits you to work with any 1 employer for up to 6 months max. I have it on good authority that you can extend the 6 months with the one client by going through someones MyCo.

The visa took 24hrs to come through, and now means I am "eligible" for work, so I can apply for jobs through jobserve closer to the time!

HTH
                    Great stuff! Think I will do the same, I only want to go for a year. So, would contracting be ok with a WHV or do I need to go permie?

My mrs is in Marketing (brand manager), any ideas if she could do the same?

TM

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                      Warm winters here I come

The weather there can be extreme. I've been there a couple of times and the first time I was in a restaurant with about 15 relatives near Melbourne when there was a sudden massive hailstorm with giant hailstones which caused the roof to collapse and the meal to be abandoned. My lasting memory is of a fishtank in the restaurant that was being filled by natural means!! The pressure of water also demolished the drainage system, broke up the roads and submerged many cars. According to the national news there were millions of dollars of damage to property.

Another time we went again to a restaurant and returned to my relatives farm to see swathes of trees had been uprooted by a hurricane while we were out.

Enjoy the warm winters though !!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X