• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I've started applying for a visa to go and live in Australia"

Collapse

• eliquant
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Warm winters here I come
    good luck, this country is going down, the people are miserable and the weather and food is awful.

UK divorce rate is high because of high expectaions in England Vs lack of opportunities and lack of security.

Leave a comment:

• beeker
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucy View Post
    Yes. You sound like such a catch.

Charming, miss oil painting!

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Originally posted by beeker View Post
    That would be a holiday and a half, looks like i'll have to take my Kilt with me then..!
    Yes. You sound like such a catch.

Leave a comment:

• beeker
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Australia too. Could be combined with going on holiday.
    That would be a holiday and a half, looks like i'll have to take my Kilt with me then..!

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by gadgetman View Post
    Marry an aussie? Plenty of them in London
    Australia too. Could be combined with going on holiday.

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied
    Marry an aussie? Plenty of them in London

Leave a comment:

• beeker
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucy View Post
    Let me guess, you are about 25?
    haha! 27.

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    oooh, you jammy bugger!! Fancy adopting me?

I can cook?!

Let me guess, you are about 25?

Leave a comment:

• beeker
    replied
    Wifey's getting one with her job.
    oooh, you jammy bugger!! Fancy adopting me?

I can cook?!

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied
    Wifey's getting one with her job.

what about a visa?

Leave a comment:

• beeker
    replied
    Test Manager. The rates I've seen are around $1000 - $1200 per day, about the same as London.

I plan to use a management company (umbrella equivalent) and will be claiming LAFH allowance. I've had a detailed quote which gives me about 64% net - after all taxes and deductions, the same as I get in the UK. I've also contacted agencies and they say they'll have no problems placing me.
    what about a visa?

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied
    Test Manager. The rates I've seen are around $1000 - $1200 per day, about the same as London.

I plan to use a management company (umbrella equivalent) and will be claiming LAFH allowance. I've had a detailed quote which gives me about 64% net - after all taxes and deductions, the same as I get in the UK. I've also contacted agencies and they say they'll have no problems placing me.

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    Doing what?

Speaking for myself, Java/C++ in the banks in London is 550-600 per day average. Here its $80-$85/hr, which is about 300-320 quid per day. Plus the tax rates are higher here, the tax system is a lot tighter and the 80/20 rule harder to dodge - so you will be paying more tax than in the UK.

I know of a few contractors getting London rates here in Sydney but they are in extremely niche roles - they've basically been brought over from the UK/NYC - because locals did not have the skills.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    Yeah - let's not mention the humongous, super fertile cockroaches that can fly ...
    I found Flaming Raid* to be an effective killer of these bastards. Whatever you do, don't step on them as they hold their eggs inside - you'll end up tramping eggs everywhere you go.

* A large tin of Raid and a butane lighter. Probably best not to use inside.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    Yeah - let's not mention the humongous, super fertile cockroaches that can fly ...
    I never minded the big flying ones, squash as required. The common run of the mill cockroaches were the nightmare, in the said same dive they infested the cooker, when you turned it on they'd start emerging by the thousands

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    I first landed in Sydney when it was peeing down and it then rained for 13 weekends on the trot. The walls in the dive I was stopping in started sprouting plants it got that damp. The winters in Sydney are usually good, clear skies and touching 20C on a nice afternoon, it's more likely to pee down in summer.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X