• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I've started applying for a visa to go and live in Australia

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    The weather there can be extreme. I've been there a couple of times and the first time I was in a restaurant with about 15 relatives near Melbourne when there was a sudden massive hailstorm with giant hailstones which caused the roof to collapse and the meal to be abandoned. My lasting memory is of a fishtank in the restaurant that was being filled by natural means!! The pressure of water also demolished the drainage system, broke up the roads and submerged many cars. According to the national news there were millions of dollars of damage to property.

Another time we went again to a restaurant and returned to my relatives farm to see swathes of trees had been uprooted by a hurricane while we were out.
    Is your surname Spencer by any chance?
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
      Is your surname Spencer by any chance?
      ... you know, some mothers do 'ave em...

Last edited by themistry; 18 June 2008, 08:30.

Comment

Anyone in AU have an HSBC bank account? I'm with the HSBC over here and would like to open up an Australian account in preparation for the move over. Just wondered if the same 'immediate' transfers of money inter-account would apply as it is in a different country?

Anyone have experience of this kind of thing?

Comment

Originally posted by themistry View Post
          ... you know, some mothers to 'ave em...

Or the 'man who knew too little'.

Comment

Originally posted by beeker View Post
            Anyone in AU have an HSBC bank account? I'm with the HSBC over here and would like to open up an Australian account in preparation for the move over. Just wondered if the same 'immediate' transfers of money inter-account would apply as it is in a different country?

AFAIK HSBC only has commercial operations in Australia, getting a bank account there is much easier than here. Just take in enough ID and proof of address and it's done on the spot. They do have quite hefty fees though, for account maintenance etc I quite liked the Bendigo Bank when I was there or some of the Credit Unions, it's probably changed by now though.

Moving money between here and there or there and here is a flipping nightmare and costs AUD30 or so.

Comment

The rates I've seen are the same as I'm getting in London...

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
              ...the rates there are 80% that of sydney, which are 50% that of London, unless you are in a top flight niche.

Comment

Originally posted by gadgetman View Post
                The rates I've seen are the same as I'm getting in London...
                Not in my IT world they're not - they're way off. Almost same dollar rate as I'd expect in pounds.
                Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
                  AFAIK HSBC only has commercial operations in Australia, getting a bank account there is much easier than here. Just take in enough ID and proof of address and it's done on the spot. They do have quite hefty fees though, for account maintenance etc I quite liked the Bendigo Bank when I was there or some of the Credit Unions, it's probably changed by now though.

Moving money between here and there or there and here is a flipping nightmare and costs AUD30 or so.

Cheers Lucy - I can see me asking you a lot of questions in the near future
                  I'm off to check some bank websites...

ps. if you ever need your network seen to f.o.c (and aren't a tecchy) you know where to come!

Comment

See thread on tax dodgers re moving your pension pot with you and getting it all tax free after 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by beeker View Post

This does not work. HSBC in Aus is effectively a different business to the one in the UK. You cannot transfer money any easier than as if it was between two different banks, ie SWIFT.

Comment

Working...
                      X