• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I've started applying for a visa to go and live in Australia

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    This does not work. HSBC in Aus is effectively a different business to the one in the UK. You cannot transfer money any easier than as if it was between two different banks, ie SWIFT.
    curses....

Comment

Originally posted by gadgetman View Post
      The rates I've seen are the same as I'm getting in London...
      Doing what?

Speaking for myself, Java/C++ in the banks in London is 550-600 per day average. Here its $80-$85/hr, which is about 300-320 quid per day. Plus the tax rates are higher here, the tax system is a lot tighter and the 80/20 rule harder to dodge - so you will be paying more tax than in the UK.

I know of a few contractors getting London rates here in Sydney but they are in extremely niche roles - they've basically been brought over from the UK/NYC - because locals did not have the skills.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        To get into Australia/USA/Canada/New Zealand to live you need:

proven top flight education
        perfect written and spoken English
        top flight skills and years of proven experience
        to be medically fit and free from disease
        to be free from criminal convictions and to be vetted
        to have references from employers and character witnesses.

To get into the UK to live you need:

A bag
        Some shoes
        A train/plane/boat ticket
        A bag with a bomb in it
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Doing what?

Speaking for myself, Java/C++ in the banks in London is 550-600 per day average. Here its $80-$85/hr, which is about 300-320 quid per day. Plus the tax rates are higher here, the tax system is a lot tighter and the 80/20 rule harder to dodge - so you will be paying more tax than in the UK.

I know of a few contractors getting London rates here in Sydney but they are in extremely niche roles - they've basically been brought over from the UK/NYC - because locals did not have the skills.
          Network Engineer in some shape or form. Agree with your post - you'd get £550-600 per day here, and $640-$680 per day in dollars, using your figures. That's what I meant - same dollar rate as pound rate more or less, i.e. get paid less there than here.
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

I'm having a blinkers on day - thought you'd replied to my post, in reply to his post. Ignore me (I pretend you don't normally).

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
              Network Engineer in some shape or form. Agree with your post - you'd get £550-600 per day here, and $640-$680 per day in dollars, using your figures. That's what I meant - same dollar rate as pound rate more or less, i.e. get paid less there than here.
              It's not worth comparing like that. If you intend to go back to the UK after your trip here you gotta work out how much you can save here. You won't save much due to increased costs and decreased income. Maybe a couple of grand a month pounds, if you are a very good boy, single and not living it up (which you will be for the first 18 months you do here ...).

Comment

Be prepared for the Sydney winter. It only rained twice whilst I was there. Once for 1 month and once for 2 months.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

It's not worth comparing like that. If you intend to go back to the UK after your trip here you gotta work out how much you can save here. You won't save much due to increased costs and decreased income. Maybe a couple of grand a month pounds, if you are a very good boy, single and not living it up (which you will be for the first 18 months you do here ...).
                  I get it, I agree with you - I lived there 5 years, one of the reasons I left etc etc. Shouldn't have replied, as I just stated as I thought you were replying to me. Like I said, ignore the post.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    Be prepared for the Sydney winter. It only rained twice whilst I was there. Once for 1 month and once for 2 months.
                    Thas a Scottish Summer - you lucky lucky man.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                      I first landed in Sydney when it was peeing down and it then rained for 13 weekends on the trot. The walls in the dive I was stopping in started sprouting plants it got that damp. The winters in Sydney are usually good, clear skies and touching 20C on a nice afternoon, it's more likely to pee down in summer.

Comment

Working...
                      X