• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Guilt trip to the supermarket

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PAH View Post
    I do my bit to save the planet by re-using the bags ...
    No you don't. You just do as a sop to your conscience. Or possibly, no you don't, the planet isn't endangered by non-reuse of plastic bags.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      No you don't. You just do as a sop to your conscience. Or possibly, no you don't, the planet isn't endangered by non-reuse of plastic bags.

Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
        I would have said: "Buy one? I tuliping married one, why would want to buy one?"
        I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
          Many years ago in Hungary, people used to bring their own bags to do shopping as quite simply, shops couldn't afford any plastic ones.

Now that Tesco have invaded, everyone expects all shops to have free plastic bags.

Funny old world...
          Supermarkets in Germany/Sweden/Denmark don't give bags away, why do they do so in Hungary?

tim

Comment

If the bugs are so bad, they should be buying them back and then recycling.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
              In my local Sainsburys yesterday they decided they would hide the free carrier bags in some kind of attempt to preach to the customers on global warming.

The patronising little cow on the till asked if I wanted to "buy a bag for life?"
              No thanks I said as the shopping was pilling up, "can I have some carrier bags please?"

By the look of distain on her face you think I'd said "can I have a tulip on the conveyor belt?"

The patronising barstewards
              Alleviate your guilt by reading what DEFRA says about this:

We don't think a ban or a levy is the right way to go," said a Defra spokeswoman.

Ireland introduced a "plastax" of about 30 cents (20p) on each bag in 2002 and there has been a 90% reduction in use.

But the Defra spokeswoman said the tax had led to people buying more plastic bin liners, which were even worse than carrier bags.

Interestingly, since the budget, the (very good) article on the DEFRA site criticising a levy on plastic bags is harder to find than newer articles saying what a great idea it is.

My conscience is clear, e.g.
              http://www.brc.org.uk/details04.asp?...t=Retail+Myths
              http://www.carrierbagtax.com

Comment

I love all these plastic bags. They are so useful. For instance I never buy bin liners, as was the case when I have worked in plastic bag averse countries. In Ireland bin liner usage has increased 4 fold since the ban.

Be brave stick up for plastic bags

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                  Co-op use biodegradable bags which disintegrate in < 1 year
                  Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  Unfortunately, they disintegrate into radioactive dioxin.

...or something.
                  The real problem is that the bags are biodegradable, but the plastic isn't

The "biodegradable" plastic bags are made of a mixture of plastic particles and a biodegradable substance (cellulose, I think). When the cellulose degrades, the physical bag is gone, but the particles of plastic remain.

Although "out of sight, out of mind" to such majestic beings as ourselves and the Co-op, these particles then end up being ingested by smaller organisms such as earthworms and insects, and even unicellular beings such as amoebae, with undetermined consequences for the ecosphere

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                    Co-op use biodegradable bags which disintegrate in < 1 year
                    before you get your shopping to the firkin' car, and you end up smashing your eggs on the floor; IYKWIM.
                    The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

Working...
                    X