• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Guilt trip to the supermarket"

Collapse

• EqualOpportunities
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Co-op use biodegradable bags which disintegrate in < 1 year
    before you get your shopping to the firkin' car, and you end up smashing your eggs on the floor; IYKWIM.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Co-op use biodegradable bags which disintegrate in < 1 year
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Unfortunately, they disintegrate into radioactive dioxin.

...or something.
    The real problem is that the bags are biodegradable, but the plastic isn't

The "biodegradable" plastic bags are made of a mixture of plastic particles and a biodegradable substance (cellulose, I think). When the cellulose degrades, the physical bag is gone, but the particles of plastic remain.

Although "out of sight, out of mind" to such majestic beings as ourselves and the Co-op, these particles then end up being ingested by smaller organisms such as earthworms and insects, and even unicellular beings such as amoebae, with undetermined consequences for the ecosphere

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    I love all these plastic bags. They are so useful. For instance I never buy bin liners, as was the case when I have worked in plastic bag averse countries. In Ireland bin liner usage has increased 4 fold since the ban.

Be brave stick up for plastic bags

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    In my local Sainsburys yesterday they decided they would hide the free carrier bags in some kind of attempt to preach to the customers on global warming.

The patronising little cow on the till asked if I wanted to "buy a bag for life?"
    No thanks I said as the shopping was pilling up, "can I have some carrier bags please?"

By the look of distain on her face you think I'd said "can I have a tulip on the conveyor belt?"

The patronising barstewards
    Alleviate your guilt by reading what DEFRA says about this:

We don't think a ban or a levy is the right way to go," said a Defra spokeswoman.

Ireland introduced a "plastax" of about 30 cents (20p) on each bag in 2002 and there has been a 90% reduction in use.

But the Defra spokeswoman said the tax had led to people buying more plastic bin liners, which were even worse than carrier bags.

Interestingly, since the budget, the (very good) article on the DEFRA site criticising a levy on plastic bags is harder to find than newer articles saying what a great idea it is.

My conscience is clear, e.g.
    http://www.brc.org.uk/details04.asp?...t=Retail+Myths
    http://www.carrierbagtax.com

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    If the bugs are so bad, they should be buying them back and then recycling.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    Many years ago in Hungary, people used to bring their own bags to do shopping as quite simply, shops couldn't afford any plastic ones.

Now that Tesco have invaded, everyone expects all shops to have free plastic bags.

Funny old world...
    Supermarkets in Germany/Sweden/Denmark don't give bags away, why do they do so in Hungary?

tim

Leave a comment:

• Spartacus
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    I would have said: "Buy one? I tuliping married one, why would want to buy one?"

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    No you don't. You just do as a sop to your conscience. Or possibly, no you don't, the planet isn't endangered by non-reuse of plastic bags.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    I do my bit to save the planet by re-using the bags ...
    No you don't. You just do as a sop to your conscience. Or possibly, no you don't, the planet isn't endangered by non-reuse of plastic bags.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Many years ago in Hungary, people used to bring their own bags to do shopping as quite simply, shops couldn't afford any plastic ones.

Now that Tesco have invaded, everyone expects all shops to have free plastic bags.

Funny old world...

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Why's it so difficult to make them out of recyclable plastic? There would be no issue then.

Unless the supermarkets are using it as an excuse to make some money charging for them. You only need to look at the amount of overpackaging supermarkets already supply to see their green intentions are ultimately driven by profit.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    In my local Sainsburys yesterday they decided they would hide the free carrier bags in some kind of attempt to preach to the customers on global warming.
    Nope it's nothing to do with that.

Supermarkets have been warned the if they don't get the number of bags they give away down, then Gordon Brown will introduce a new law to ensure they do in the next budget.

Hence M&S are giving away free bags during this month with your shopping and will start charging for them next month.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    I do my bit to save the planet by re-using the bags next time I go shopping. Would be more effective though if I remembered to take them more often.

Other than that I give them to friends who are obsessed with doing car boots at the weekend, so they can bag up their tat for their customers.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    The patronising little cow on the till asked if I wanted to "buy a bag for life?"
    I would have said: "Buy one? I tuliping married one, why would want to buy one?"

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Unfortunately, they disintegrate into radioactive dioxin.

...or something.
    They disintegrate into Co-Op meat and potato pies, except nicer tasting.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X