• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lance Corporal Stephen - didn't come home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by threaded View Post
    You've not quite got the feel for the speed of things in Whitehall, 1/3rd of the staff are still working on what to do about the Bourbons getting kicked out of France.
    Is this the biscuit thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      Right, You obviously do know something about it then - why are you so disparaging of soldiers (and their families) who have a conscience about what they are doing?

Answer the points below...

Have you ever played football? I'm going to assume yes, as most young boys get the chance at school. Then I also assume you have a basic grasp of the rules and strategy? Then why not offer your opinion?

It will probably be a basic one, with little understanding of the nuance and intricacies of the game, but yes, still an opinion.
      I've got 6 days gameplay of call of duty 4 online so know loads about planting bombs killing people n such.

Comment

Originally posted by HRH View Post
        NO HE DOESN'T. A soldiers job is to do what he/she is told not to question why he/she is in a particular country. This is where people get it all wrong.

UNDERSTAND??
        I see that you have a sound grounding in British military customs and tradition too.
        I could waste a few moments of my life explaining to you the commitment required from any military unit in the midst of action. I could explain that a soldier will give his best and even his life for a cause that he believes in.
        But I won't, because it would be a total waste of time trying to explain it to an ignorant, self opinionated, immature adolescent such as you depict yourself to be.
        Might I suggest that you go back to your so called "university of life" and finish your woefully inadequate education.
        Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

C'mon HRH

Comment

Actually, he's sort of vaguely got a point.

You sign up to serve, belief in the cause is, and should be, by the way unless it is completely immoral in your opinion. Enough so you'll take the consequences.

Otherwise get on with it.
            Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
              Actually, he's sort of vaguely got a point.

You sign up to serve, belief in the cause is, and should be, by the way unless it is completely immoral in your opinion. Enough so you'll take the consequences.

Otherwise get on with it.
              Hmm! perhaps you two should have nipped over to Iraq and explained that to Saddam's army.
              You know the one, they were the ones surrendering to unarmed camera crews and to low flying surveillance drones.
              They weren't and still aren't afraid to give their lives for a cause they believed in.
              Or perhaps to the Italian army during WWII. They had such great belief in Mussolini's cause they were only too happy to surrender, It wasn't cowardice, it was conviction that they were on the wrong side.
              I could cite a few more but quite frankly, can't be bothered.

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                Hmm! perhaps you two should have nipped over to Iraq and explained that to Saddam's army.
                You know the one, they were the ones surrendering to unarmed camera crews and to low flying surveillance drones.
                They weren't and still aren't afraid to give their lives for a cause they believed in.
                Or perhaps to the Italian army during WWII. They had such great belief in Mussolini's cause they were only too happy to surrender, It wasn't cowardice, it was conviction that they were on the wrong side.
                I could cite a few more but quite frankly, can't be bothered.
                Read my reply properly. Then respond.

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                  Read my reply properly. Then respond.
                  Repeat it in legible English for me please. I'm doped up to the eyeballs on morphine and can't wrap my brain around the structure of your post/sentence

Sorry if I misread

Comment

And by the way, I'm against the Iraq war, but if I was a soldier (And I have friends who've served there) I would have fought without a seconds doubt that I should be there.

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                      Repeat it in legible English for me please. I'm doped up to the eyeballs on morphine and can't wrap my brain around the structure of your post/sentence

Sorry if I misread
                      My point is quite simple. You don't join the army on a conditional basis. You join, as a volunteer to go to war if your country ask, approve or not. Clearly there is a point where you find it morally wrong, and you choose not to. That choice involves a major sacrifice on your part, in terms of the consequences, but there would be circumstances where I could envision that being the case.

Comment

Working...
                      X