• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lance Corporal Stephen - didn't come home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snaw View Post
    And by the way, I'm against the Iraq war, but if I was a soldier (And I have friends who've served there) I would have fought without a seconds doubt that I should be there.
    A gross example of commitment issues.

Sergeant - "Private snaw. the captain wants that flag that's draped across the razor wire in front of that enemy machine gun nest. He wants to take it home as a prezzy for his sons birthday. will you nip across the minefield and get it for him?"

Private snaw. ferk you Sergeant.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sergeant - "Private snaw. the captain needs that enemy machine gun nest taken out. He wants to get the men across the minefield before any more die in the open, it's probably a suicide mission?"

Private snaw. cover me Sergeant.
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

My point is quite simple. You don't join the army on a conditional basis. You join, as a volunteer to go to war if your country ask, approve or not. Clearly there is a point where you find it morally wrong, and you choose not to. That choice involves a major sacrifice on your part, in terms of the consequences, but there would be circumstances where I could envision that being the case.
      Granted

Comment

You must also concede that all armies that operate solely on the principle of obedience only, make a miserably inefficient Army.

Take the Russians in Afghanistan for example.

Comment

Our army is made up of volunteers, the russian army in Afghanistan was conscripts. There is a world of difference. Comparing them in terms of commitment and orders is like apples and oranges.
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Our army is made up of volunteers, the russian army in Afghanistan was conscripts. There is a world of difference. Comparing them in terms of commitment and orders is like apples and oranges.
            Not all were conscripts, many were volunteers. Volunteers who joined not because of commitment to cause or country, but because it was better than the breadlines.

How willing would a man be to lay down his life for a cause and country for which there was no commitment or belief.

The difference between a man who raises his weapon above the lip of trench or foxhole and gives random un-aimed fire, and the man who charges alone against withering fire to toss a grenade into the mouth of a machine gun nest, is commitment.
            There is not a word that you can print that changes that simple fact.

Comment

Interesting and poignant read

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4177312.stm

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                Do any of you know the difference between "Sunni" and "Shi'a" ?
                Its the weather innit - sometimes its 'sunni', and sometimes its 'shi'ite'

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                  Its the weather innit - sometimes its 'sunni', and sometimes its 'shi'ite'

Comment

And by the way, I'm against the Iraq war, but if I was a soldier (And I have friends who've served there) I would have fought without a seconds doubt that I should be there.
                    Exactly so. I was a soldier and you do what you are told, believe me. It would take something pretty extraordinary to make you disobey an order, and having said that, there are many, many examples of people 'just following orders' even in extraordinary circumstances.(and doing terrible things).

As a soldier I didnt think about the rightness or the wrongness of the campaign or war, that was for others to do. You dont expect an eighteen year old, being shot at and living in total fear to have the same pholosophical and moral attitude that a CUK poster has, sitting drinking his filtered coffee and eating his slice in a nice warm office, thirty years later.

If I was eighteen again, I would be there in a second, thats what soldiers do.

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                      Exactly so. I was a soldier and you do what you are told, believe me. It would take something pretty extraordinary to make you disobey an order, and having said that, there are many, many examples of people 'just following orders' even in extraordinary circumstances.(and doing terrible things).

As a soldier I didnt think about the rightness or the wrongness of the campaign or war, that was for others to do. You dont expect an eighteen year old, being shot at and living in total fear to have the same pholosophical and moral attitude that a CUK poster has, sitting drinking his filtered coffee and eating his slice in a nice warm office, thirty years later.

If I was eighteen again, I would be there in a second, thats what soldiers do.

The point that I am trying to make, is that a soldier that believes in the cause he is fighting for, is far more valuable an asset than one who is being forced to carry out an action that he believes is fundamentally wrong.

Do any dispute that?

Comment

Working...
                      X