• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lance Corporal Stephen - didn't come home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, but one must remember that "Ministry of Defence" was a rebranding exercise from "Ministry of War" only a few years ago, and the guys and gals in there have probably not quite caught on with this right-on touchy-feely stuff yet.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
      Yes, but one must remember that "Ministry of Defence" was a rebranding exercise from "Ministry of War" only a few years ago, and the guys and gals in there have probably not quite caught on with this right-on touchy-feely stuff yet.

62 years ago, by Clement Atlee.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by HRH View Post
        NO HE DOESN'T. A soldiers job is to do what he/she is told not to question why he/she is in a particular country. This is where people get it all wrong.

An occupational hazard of contracting job is that you may have to work away from home, or have less holidays. Soldiers crying 'no fair' when they get shot at is like the contractor who has creamed in ££'s for 5 years and then cries foul when he is out of work for 6 months.

UNDERSTAND??
        Wrong on so many levels.

As a soldier you swear an oath to serve god, queen and country. how does the Iraq war serve any of the above?

If your commanding officer tells you to break into a house and slaughter all the women and children you should just do it right?

The fact that this was an illegal war is something that should be of great worry to many soldiers, they could be held to account in the long term. Look what happened to the Nazi's who were chased for war crimes for the rest of their lives, are you suggesting that our soldiers be subjected to this by blindly following orders that they know are wrong?

You may have family in the forces but it is clear you have no idea about how they work, no officer material in your family I take it.....

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
          If your commanding officer tells you to break into a house and slaughter all the women and children you should just do it right?
          You (as a soldier) should be aware that you only have to obey a lawful order. The difficulty comes when squaddies don't understand that, or indeed, what a lawful order is.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            The difficulty comes when squaddies don't understand that, or indeed, what a lawful order is.
            Or more specifically, when their democratically elected leaders don't understand what a lawful WAR is!!
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Wrong on so many levels.

As a soldier you swear an oath to serve god, queen and country. how does the Iraq war serve any of the above?

They are serving the Queen via orders of Her Majesty's Government.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Wrong on so many levels.

The fact that this was an illegal war is something that should be of great worry to many soldiers, they could be held to account in the long term. Look what happened to the Nazi's who were chased for war crimes for the rest of their lives, are you suggesting that our soldiers be subjected to this by blindly following orders that they know are wrong?

You may have family in the forces but it is clear you have no idea about how they work, no officer material in your family I take it.....

Oh Im sorry you appear to have come through to the worng site, please try...

http://www.michaelmoore.com/

Comment

Originally posted by HRH View Post
                  Oh Im sorry you appear to have come through to the worng site, please try...

http://www.michaelmoore.com/
                  Quiet monkey boy. Adults are talking.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Quiet monkey boy. Adults are talking.

Really? Where?

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post

62 years ago, by Clement Atlee.
                      You've not quite got the feel for the speed of things in Whitehall, 1/3rd of the staff are still working on what to do about the Bourbons getting kicked out of France.
                      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                      X