• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ATW's 10 points plan to solve the global financial crisis

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Maybe I should have a tiger for an avatar. You'd p1ss yourself and run away then I expect
    What I think is that if my rules were in force when you were illegally drinking cheap cider you'd crap your pants after a night in jail and go straight after that - no more cider drunk, or else you'd die in jail. Both alternatives are fine by me

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      What I think is that if my rules were in force when you were illegally drinking cheap cider you'd crap your pants after a night in jail and go straight after that - no more cider drunk, or else you'd die in jail. Both alternatives are fine by me

I DIE IN JAIL THEN BOSS !

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

I DIE IN JAIL THEN BOSS

(sorry dupe)

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Marina View Post
          Yes, and being ex-blacksmiths and potters and so on, the guys who designed the first "clever machines" and planned the mills and factories and build the railways and canals wouldn't have got far if there hadn't been rich landowners and investors to lend them money at interest (which they wouldn't have been allowed to do in an Islamic country BTW).
          Canals of course somewhat before the railways. At their time of creation any company required an act of parliament to come into existence. The second bubble was arguably canal stock. Some of the enterprises were a little on the thin side of reality, a lot of landowners and investors got royally fleeced. It was quite an impressive feat getting them to stump up the money since it was mainly the same people who had done a debt for equity type swap of government debt into a new issue of the south sea companys stock.

As railways were built a number of these were constructed of the remains of non profit making canals (i.e. most of them). Then there was a bunch of problems in raising the finance, after all the investors had got their fingers burnt were showing some reluctance. However they were eventually persuaded "it's different this time". So they got royally fleeced. Again.

As ever caveat emptor, but it was only the availability of that risk capital that brought general prosperity to all.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
            As ever caveat emptor, but it was only the availability of that risk capital that brought general prosperity to all.
            Fine. What let's look at what current "high risk capital" is doing - do they invest into railways? Nano-tech? Space tech? No - they invest into junk stuff like loans to people who can't afford to repay them after fixed period of cheap rates elapses. What prosperity can possibly happen from that "investment"? None. Zero. Nil. Property bubble is what driven economies in the last decade.

Comment

Fine. What let's look at what current "high risk capital" is doing - do they invest into railways? Nano-tech? Space tech? No - they invest into junk stuff like loans to people who can't afford to repay them after fixed period of cheap rates elapses. What prosperity can possibly happen from that "investment"? None. Zero. Nil. Property bubble is what driven economies in the last decade.
              And as the day wore on, AtW sounded more and more like that tedious old swindler in the Turkish bazzar who tried to sell you a fake Rolex that felt lighter than a fun-size Mars bar.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                And as the day wore on, AtW sounded more and more like that tedious old swindler in the Turkish bazzar who tried to sell you a fake Rolex that felt lighter than a fun-size Mars bar.
                Look, house price bubble is blowing up right now - when the dust settles there won't be railways that can be used later left, or canals that can be useful (I like those in Brum), this bubble is totally pointless and the only thing it will achieve is helping establish corrupt and dangerous to the west regimes in the backwards countries that happen to sit on lots of oil and other resources. Just for achieving that all responsible parties in the west should be summarily shot - something that of course won't happen, they will get their golden parachutes and live happily thereafter, where as you and others who defend them will be owned by greater Chinese civilisation.

Comment

this bubble is totally pointless
                  That's another one for my file!

I'm going to make a rap song from all my favorite comments on CUK.

I have a rough working draft: -

this bubble is totally pointless (chakkaboom)

Comment

AtW, if there had been more small investors in Russia you wouldn't have had that carve up which left a handful of oligarchs so rich like a bunch of medievil barons (much to your disgust I seem to recall).

Comment

AtW, your definition of speculation is flawed (all investment is really speculation).

Come up with a better defined example of what you want banned, then take some pills if you ever think it will happen.
                      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                      X