• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Indian Development Teams

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Can you explain a bit more?
    The Indian company is an Indian based company. It employs educated, skilled, experienced IT staff in India at good Indian market rates. It competes for contracts worldwide and where clients prefer some work to be done in their own country, it flies its staff to the country to complete the work and pays their expenses. Where Client countries require local expertise, it hires local contractors.

IBM have been doing this for years.

Just because they provide a product cheaper than we can, it doesn't mean they are doing anything illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by M_B View Post
      Just because they provide a product cheaper than we can, it doesn't mean they are doing anything illegal.
      Do they provide the product they claim to provide though? I don't think any UK consultancy would have managed to survive long time with that kind of quality of work (nevermind the price), though on the other hand there is ED$, ccenture etc, but at least they hire local workforce, so at least part of the taxpayer money will flow back into economy.

I am all for competition - but anyone who does cr@p work should not expect to be able to falsely advertise that it is good work much cheaper and get away with it.

Comment

The Indian company is an Indian based company. It employs educated, skilled, experienced IT staff in India at good Indian market rates. It competes for contracts worldwide and where clients prefer some work to be done in their own country, it flies its staff to the country to complete the work and pays their expenses. Where Client countries require local expertise, it hires local contractors.

IBM have been doing this for years.

We're getting somewhere. What is interesting is that to support the fragility of your argument you decided to make a sweeping statement "Just because they provide a product cheaper than we can, it doesn't mean they are doing anything illegal" which bears no relevance to what I said whatsoever.

It is not unreasonable for these companies to bring accross their own people in order to learn all about the systems and to communicate with the user community. What is unreasonable is that it is too easy for outsourcers to exploit this loophole and use it as an excuse to bring in cheap labour. If the work cannot be done offshore it is wrong that the solution is to bring workers from India when actually they should be hiring locally. If then they still cannot find the expertise (at local market rates, which includes offering jobs first to the 900 Hungarian developers employed by Tata in Budapest) then they should have to go through the home office loops to make solid cases for bringing in IT workers from overseas.

We all know that there is no real shortage of IT skills within the EU, or otherwise IT would be on the list of endangered skills, which unlike other engineering disciplines it is not.
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Do they provide the product they claim to provide though?
          Very much so - Its live and the client has requested yet more enhancements. Infact they have been so succesful that they are winning more and more contracts both here and abroad. From my point of view its brilliant because I can forsee me being contracted with them for years and years to come not just on this project but others too.

Yes there are nightmare projects out there, but then they aren't exclusive to Indian companies. The trouble many are finding is that the model is new and many companies simply don't have the experience to make it work. This particular company however is doing it mostly right.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            This inshore/nearshore thing is utter b****cks. It is nothing more than a complete scam to import cheap Indians into this country. If the EU cannot provide these skills within the pay rates dictated by markets then fine, but otherwise this practice should be stopped. I dont have a problem with offshoring work, but using it as a backdoor way of importing cheap labour is appalling.
            Oh diddums. Just coz in in this case they are taking away business you could otherwise provide, suddenly all the free market stuff and movement of labour is all wrong eh?
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Oh diddums. Just coz in in this case they are taking away business you could otherwise provide, suddenly all the free market stuff and movement of labour is all wrong eh?
              I know you agree with me SAS,
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

If the work cannot be done offshore it is wrong that the solution is to bring workers from India when actually they should be hiring locally.
                Thats overly simplistic. There are many reasons why some of the work cannot be done offshore or that its better to do it onshore including it being a stipulation of the client.

When the company has the experience and skills in house, why on earth should it be forced to abandon that and hire locally ?
                Last edited by M_B; 1 February 2008, 15:33.

Comment

Yes there are nightmare projects out there, but then they aren't exclusive to Indian companies.
                  Problem are not exclusive to Indian companies, that's for sure - however you can't yell on them, you can't even see them properly to have any weight in threat of getting people fired, and don't have any control at all whether people who work with you today won't be changed tomorrow.

Comment

Very much so - Its live and the client has requested yet more enhancements. Infact they have been so succesful that they are winning more and more contracts both here and abroad. From my point of view its brilliant because I can forsee me being contracted with them for years and years to come not just on this project but others too.

Yes there are nightmare projects out there, but then they aren't exclusive to Indian companies. The trouble many are finding is that the model is new and many companies simply don't have the experience to make it work. This particular company however is doing it mostly right.
                    So which company is it?

Did the project come in on time and on budget?

Did the whole process have to be micromanaged to make it work?

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Foster Kane View Post
                      Is that ACTUALLY your real life, or are you blurring reality with Dilbert?
                      Good to see you back CFK. Am relieved you haven't written yourself and a leased porsche off by wrapping it round a tree.

Comment

Working...
                      X