• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are there many young contractors?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    I am 22
    It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Good Lord, Moose - I thought the new avatar was a picture of one large breast as I skimmed past the page.

If I squint, it still is
      I've been asked by a special person to change it back to a moose, and I have duly complied.

Comment

Try and get a decent grooming session going on here and somebody spoils it.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I started when I was 28, however I was very close to going contracting about 2 years earlier..

Only the promise of being laid off and getting a nice payout kept me in my perm job. (looking back however, it would have been more cost effective to jump ship when i originally wanted to)
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            Only the promise of being laid off and getting a nice payout kept me in my perm job. (looking back however, it would have been more cost effective to jump ship when i originally wanted to)
            shhhhush...you'll only encourage them!
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
              Is the declining quality of posts on this board a direct result of all the young newbies ? (note to the noobs the correct answer is no....next)
              No. Next.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

When I started contracting, I was younger than everyone. Now I'm older.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
                  I've been asked by a special person to change it back to a moose, and I have duly complied.
                  Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

It's not easy

Without stereotyping anyone, the main reason for the lack of young contractors is that they find it hard to get accepted. A lot of interviewers (inc. me) see them as having less skills and competence than someone say 10 years older. How do you justify paying top-whack for a 25 year old with little or no experience? If there is an ideal age for contracting, this is 35-45 with the contractor having previously spent about 10 years in one or - most - a couple of permanent jobs in the same sector (eg in finance), hence knowing how a permie feels like.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                      Get a room, you two!

Or a hotel / apartment block.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X