• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are there many young contractors?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kirk View Post
    I'm 30 this year....
    ditto and just about to step into contracting
    "I'm more of a warrior than you'll ever be. I believe in the class war. I believe in the battle of the sexes. I believe in my tribe. I believe in the righteous, inteligent clued-up section of society against the brain-dead moronic masses as well as the mediocre, soulless bourgeoisie. I believe in punk rock. In northern soul. In acid house. In mod. In rock and roll. I also believe in pre commercial righteous, rap and hip hop. Thats my manifesto"

Comment

I''ve just turned 29, went contracting at the end of 27. Main motivational factor was seeing my charge out rate that my then permie company was charging me out for.

My life changed since.

Comment

I think Dow Jones has hit the nail firmly on the head.

Clients expect soft skills and a broad background, backed up with lots of experience. This gives them a feel good factor. I have dealt with many people in the past who look great on paper, are actually fantastic at writing code, but don't have a clue on how to interact with people. (I call them back offfice boys).

This is why in general contractors tend to be 30+. There are of course exeptions to this, but the industry in general is ageist in funny ways.

For permie positions there is a bias towards younger people, in contract positions it seems to be the other way around.

Comment

35 plus is usually a good indication of the candidate having been around for a while.

Thus bringing with them, the soft skills and the relevant technical skills.
          That boy go raaaaaaa
          Copyright (C) BabyBear1 - with thanks to VF for hosting

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
            I thought you were going to tell us how old you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post

Clients expect soft skills and a broad background, backed up with lots of experience. This gives them a feel good factor. I have dealt with many people in the past who look great on paper, are actually fantastic at writing code, but don't have a clue on how to interact with people. (I call them back offfice boys).

This is why in general contractors tend to be 30+. There are of course exeptions to this, but the industry in general is ageist in funny ways.

For permie positions there is a bias towards younger people, in contract positions it seems to be the other way around.
              So are you saying a propellor-head coder can develop a personality over time?

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post

It depends on your background. I have a diverse background in different consultancies and have worked in all sorts of different roles, finally settling in PM.

A person with such a background is favored over a person who may have all the letters after his name but has worked as a permie in one or two regular companies all his life.

That said, most of my contractor friends are 30+, except the ones from Aussie land of course!

P

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                  So are you saying a propellor-head coder can develop a personality over time?
                  When I joined Oracle, my training was with some product developers as well as consultants.

On the last (incedibly alcohol fuelled) night, one of the product developer geeks started an arguement with my boss about whether personality was important in consulting or not. The following extract was the end of the argument

Geek: Well, if that's your c***ing argument, you might as well f*** off to c***ing Microsoft then.
                  Manager: I think you've proved my point.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    When I joined Oracle, my training was with some product developers as well as consultants.

On the last (incedibly alcohol fuelled) night, one of the product developer geeks started an arguement with my boss about whether personality was important in consulting or not. The following extract was the end of the argument

Geek: Well, if that's your c***ing argument, you might as well f*** off to c***ing Microsoft then.
                    Manager: I think you've proved my point.

Comment

I was 33 when I started although I could have started a few years earlier. At that time it was a broad mix of good skilled contractors, some with good attitudes, some with bad and a few years later before the crash in 2002, a surprising amount of freeloaders.

Nowadays, being older and less motivated learning the latest new techno-fads, I rely more on my soft skills and experience relating to clients and doing a solid job, than getting excited about the wonders of the latest technology.

When I left contracting 4 years ago it was quite a tight market but now I'm B2B and its just cash flow, changing pension rules, savings and stupid business tax increases that concern me most now.
                      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                      X