• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Confession

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Most of code was rewritten a few times, some parts were rewritten 5 times until it achieved degree of scalability and speed that I like.

What you have to understand is that current index that is being built uses data from 30 bln crawled and analysed pages, each on average is 25kb, so that's 750 TB of primary data.
    You've read/analysed/indexed the entire Internet?

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
      Minimum risk, minimum outlay, maximum profit and the only other major player in that market will likely buy us out anyway while mk 2 is being developed. you gotta move a wee bit quicker if you want to compete with er, Google, Yahoo
      This is a very wise approach. I'd recommend anyone else to do just that - focus on something like this rather than try to work on something very hard trying to fight with guys well out of your league - most even good people will fail miserably. But I think I have gone far enough to actually win, albeit differently that most people maybe have thought, but hey, good win would still be good win, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        You've read/analysed/indexed the entire Internet?
        You should have seen how many hard disks with data I have - I totally lost count and run out of Drive letters when mouting them, had to use workaround

Comment

This is a very wise approach. I'd recommend anyone else to do just that - focus on something like this rather than try to work on something very hard trying to fight with guys well out of your league - most even good people will fail miserably. But I think I have gone far enough to actually win, albeit differently that most people maybe have thought, but hey, good win would still be good win, eh?
          If it works I promise you, I'd be first in the queue.
          Me, me, me...

Comment

You should have seen how many hard disks with data I have - I totally lost count and run out of Drive letters when mouting them, had to use workaround
            So, you're using Windows then?
            Me, me, me...

Comment

If it works I promise you, I'd be first in the queue.
              I am reasonably confident that it will - I have no idea if it will make millions, certainly not billions, but it will be something webmasters will actually want and will pay reasonable amount of money, will see in January when I will release free access to the system (for the sites that you own - money will only be charged for competitor sites).

But you are 200% right saying that anyone trying to create a business should focus on something that can be done quickly and generate quick profit, only then, maybe, invest some of this profit into long term R&D - my way is certainly riskier, but then again the reward should be higher than average.

Comment

So, you're using Windows then?
                Yep, it's all in .NET C#, I really should charge Bill Gates for having it done using his products, he also said on the cover of "Arts of Computer Programming" to send him your CV if you read and understand those books, maybe I should do that

Comment

Here is old Guardian article about me

Comment

I am reasonably confident that it will - I have no idea if it will make millions, certainly not billions, but it will be something webmasters will actually want and will pay reasonable amount of money, will see in January when I will release free access to the system (for the sites that you own - money will only be charged for competitor sites).

But you are 200% right saying that anyone trying to create a business should focus on something that can be done quickly and generate quick profit, only then, maybe, invest some of this profit into long term R&D - my way is certainly riskier, but then again the reward should be higher than average.
                    If I understand this correctly you will have a search engine like the big guys and your business model will be based around making money from some form of participation. Have you considered actually selling the application itself to parties who may want to create their own niche search engine? My guess is there's mileage in this (I'm saying this based on experience).
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Ah, it's a distributed model, now it all falls into place...
                      Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                      X