• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mobile phones - why leave them at your desk

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I leave mine on my desk and call it from a nearby meeting room, just to annoy the consultancy clones who sit nearby.

Comment

Originally posted by Zorba View Post
      I leave mine on my desk and call it from a nearby meeting room, just to annoy the consultancy clones who sit nearby.
      I think some sellotape and newspaper may be in order. ANd not for the phone before you ask!
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        I think some sellotape and newspaper may be in order. ANd not for the phone before you ask!
        I even have a selection of really annoying ringtones to get them going. Mr Bean doing the Nokia noise verbally is one of the less annoying ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Chantho View Post
          I thought the point of mobile phones was that they could be carried with you. So why do the muppets here persist in leaving mobiles on their desks, so that we can hear their carppy ringtones when they are off elsewhere?

No better are the idiots who call these numbers and allow them to ring scores of times before ending the call.
          I used to leave mine at my desk because it was so flipping uncool looking to carry it around, but when them smaller ones that could fit in a poachers pocket came out, I took to wearing a riding coat so I could take the phone with me.
          Now they'll even fit in your trouser pocket, and vibrate, it's marvelous is it not.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
            I used to leave mine at my desk because it was so flipping uncool looking to carry it around, but when them smaller ones that could fit in a poachers pocket came out, I took to wearing a riding coat so I could take the phone with me.
            Now they'll even fit in your trouser pocket, and vibrate, it's marvelous is it not.
            Indeed, my mum had one of the earliest "mobile" phones which wasn't permanently bolted to your car - bloomin enormous it was.

I believe it was one of these badgers
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              Indeed, my mum had one of the earliest "mobile" phones which wasn't permanently bolted to your car - bloomin enormous it was.

I believe it was one of these badgers
              Oh my, that's the one they used to fit to BMWs.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I once worked in a role as a permie where you were expected to work on the call-out rota. The firm supplied you with a laptop to log into the works mainframe with and, because it would use dial-up (no broadband in these pre-techniological times) they also supplied a "mobile" phone with which to call in and talk to the operations room.
                Except the "mobile" phone really wasn't. It was actually bigger than the laptop it came with - all in one hugh satchel.
                Last edited by KathyWoolfe; 19 December 2007, 15:06.
                It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

What a bizarre post! What is the point of working if not to get out there and irritate a whole new bunch of people? It gets very dull just annoying one's family and friends (if one has any). In addition to leaving my mobile on my desk I like to wander about glowering chadlike at people over the top of partitions, banging the fire extinguishers and screaming "the messiah is coming" at the top of my voice. A very good tactic is to crap into the toner box of the office laser printer.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

The answer to this is to press their Answer button followed immediately by the Hang-up button. The person at the other end will call back straight away then you do it again. After a few goes at this the person ringing gets really mad with the twonk who has left the phone on their desk.

I hate the pretentious James Blunts who have classical music as a ringtone to try and convince you how educated and superior they are.
                    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
                      The answer to this is to press their Answer button followed immediately by the Hang-up button.
                      Excellent idea. In 1999, I was working in a government office, and their was this silly bint (a daddy's princess type) who didn't want voice mail, and the phone didn't have "silent" mode, but wanted to know who'd called, so she'd leave her phone on her desk. She'd lock the phone so we couldn't turn it off. So I used to disconnect the battery for a bit.

Eventually she started leaving it in her handbag, or in her desk drawer. At least it wasn't so intrusive there.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X